Konsort scraping hull reveals bright green surface??

ggossage
Anti Spam measure: Yes
AntiSpam Text: westerly

Konsort scraping hull reveals bright green surface??

Post by ggossage » Sat Apr 07, 2018 8:26 am

I have begun scraping off old antifoul (oh joy!) on my 1981 Konsort and found a silky smooth bright green coat above the gel coat. A barrier coat of some description? When scraped with a sharp tool it doesn't come off in dusty 'bits' but rather more of an ultra thin flaky 'slice'. What's odd is that on different parts of the hull on this green surface are numbers in a black indelible pen. 10 15 and 16 have emerged so far. Anyone come across a similar coat? My instinct is to leave this coat well alone but another question is about next coat compatability. Should I go straight to a primer or would it be ok to cover the green with 2 part epoxy primer? Thanks.

simonk
Anti Spam measure: No
AntiSpam Text: antispam

Re: Konsort scraping hull reveals bright green surface??

Post by simonk » Sat Apr 07, 2018 9:07 am

Could be an epoxy barrier coat, or could it be coppercoat has been applied in the past and some has antifouled over the top?
Regards

Simon

Jolly Roger
Anti Spam measure: No
AntiSpam Text: Westerly

Post by Jolly Roger » Sat Apr 07, 2018 9:18 am

From the description, I think your hull has been epoxy coated. With International Gelshield it comes in green and grey colours which you alternate when applying to ensure a minimum thickness per coat. I am surprised you can get it to flake off, which sounds like poor preparation.

The numbers are strange. Do they run from bow to stern or are they random? Are they on both sides?

Now for advice. Remove all the antifouling and sand the green coat for a key. Buy some Gelshield and coat the damaged patches with at least 3 coats, but 5 is normal. Apply a primer and then antifoul.
Roger
Concerto Fulmar FR38
Photos at http://s1294.photobucket.com/user/Conce ... 2/library/

steve parry
AntiSpam Text: Pentland

Post by steve parry » Sun Apr 08, 2018 1:08 pm

Hi,

Agree with Jolly Roger, it is International Gelshield and is a two pot epoxy coating prior to antifouling (helps to stop osmosis or applied after treatment for Osmosis). I would also say the numbers are moisture readings normally carried on a hull survey. Has this yacht had Osmosis treatment carried out in the past?

Regards

Steve - WALKABOUT

ggossage
AntiSpam Text: westerly

Post by ggossage » Mon Apr 09, 2018 10:51 am

Thank you all for your responses. A bit surprised that an epoxy based coat would peel off in a wafer thin flake but I plan to sand down and then use Gelshield 200 as advised. Thanks again for your help.

mikebuggy

Post by mikebuggy » Tue Apr 10, 2018 11:41 pm

Just a brief reminder.
Agree the green is probably gelshield and the numbers are moisture readings. Someone had a go at drying the boat out, taking readings as they went. When they thought it was dry enough they applied epoxy. Putting full epoxy coats on will cost a bit and achieve nothing if the hull moisture content is other than fairly dry. Its only worth epoxying if you can get the hull readings down to fairly low levels. Otherwise you are effectively putting clingfilm over a wet boat, and not really helping things. Contrary to popular opinion, raised hull moisture level is NOT a defect. It can in later years lead to SOME defects of course, but unless there are actual defects like major blisters or delaminations now, then you either have to get on with sailing until it really is time to do the job, or, if you really want to, scrape off everything and dry the boat out fully. Doing something half way between these is a bit of a waste of money and time.