Refinishing external woodwork

Gk24Nixie
Anti Spam measure: Yes
AntiSpam Text: Westerly

Refinishing external woodwork

Post by Gk24Nixie »

Hi all.The external woodwork(rubbing strips,toe rails etc) on my new-to-me gk24 is sound but weathered. Best suggestions for reviving it please,preferably not the the varnish method! Thanks
Nigel Birch
Anti Spam measure: No

Re: Refinishing external woodwork

Post by Nigel Birch »

I've had good results using the wessex two part teak renovation system, then international woodskin over the top....
Nigel
Konsort "Willow" K200 Topsham
zebek
Anti Spam measure: Yes

Post by zebek »

Hi guys, I'm considering same task, can you advise any re costs and time (i'm on a larger vessel!)?
Any other solutions by anybody?
'Zebek' a Mk1 Corsair (inherited from my father 03/2018), based Strangford Lough
simonk
AntiSpam Text: antispam

Post by simonk »

Ronseal Hardwood Furniture Stain is my choice, Clear Natural, so that it doesn't colour the teak but brings out the colour of the teak. It doesn't peel like varnish & just touch up any dinks throughout the season.
Regards

Simon
Jolly Roger

Post by Jolly Roger »

Most modern yacht varnishes are prone to flaking as they create a hard coating for longer life but with poor bonding to timber. If you use a traditional oil based varnish, this will not occur as the initial coats soak into the wood. I use Le Tonkinoise varnish, not cheap but performs brilliantly and easy to retouch any breaks in the surface.

Last year I varnished my tiller and the handrails with Le Tonkinois and am very please with the condition when I checked a couple of weeks ago. This is the tiller shortly after completion with 9 coats of varnish.

Roger
Concerto Fulmar FR38
Photos at http://s1294.photobucket.com/user/Conce ... 2/library/