Water collecting on cockpit seats

UserError
Anti Spam measure: Yes
AntiSpam Text: Westerly

Water collecting on cockpit seats

Post by UserError » Sun Mar 18, 2018 10:06 pm

Having got certain key things out of the way hopefully, it's time to look at other problems: I think somehow the trim isn't right on our Centaur, as water will not drain from the for'd ends of the seats. This pools up to about half way along and anything that falls off the slats gets wet.

Apart from fenders and general personal & domestic stuff, she's kitted out and ready to go. Most of that weight will be spread over the length but biased to the cabin.

Haven't fully checked the ground tackle yet, but the anchor doesn't seem grossly oversized so not excess weight there I suspect.

Have I just got to put heavy things/concrete weights as far after as possible? I believe there are voids under the stern lockers I could use. I shouldn't have to though, as the design should have the boat trim right, so something is not right.

Any ideas?
Many thanks
Jonathan
Centaur Polly B
Littlehampton

TyroSailor
Anti Spam measure: No

Re: Water collecting on cockpit seats

Post by TyroSailor » Sun Mar 18, 2018 10:45 pm

Hi Jonathan

I have a very similar problem. I find that rainwater collects on the port cockpit seat, all the way along - it was growing a fine crop of some freshwater pondweed (probably Spirogyra or something similar) when I arrived back after the winter last week. It leaks (very slowly, fortunately) through some of the wooden slats' bolt holes making the dinghy underneath wet and would probably allow the wood to rot if left for long enough.

The problem is bound to be one of trim (I meant to move the dinghy across before I left, but forgot :( ) Have you replaced the engine? If so, the new one will be lighter than the old MD2b - mine is little more than half the weight! And you're right about the ground tackle - it's a heavy weight in exactly the wrong place for boat performance and trim. Most Centaurs I've seen have an anchor like mine, a 16lb Danforth (which I think is too light for serious anchoring) and mine had about 30m of 6mm chain which I've replaced with 37m of 8mm. For some reason this doesn't seem to have affected the trim appreciably.
In mine, and I suspect therefore in yours too, there are lockers under the quarter berths, but the bottom of the lockers is the inside of the hull - there are no spaces beneath. If you can't sort it out by moving your tools and other heavy stuff aft you might want to put some lumps of cast iron or concrete in the otherwise hard to use space at the back of the aftermost lockers down there. They're so hard to get at that it seems like a good use of them. Make sure it's well fixed though - you don't want it flying about when you fall off a wave! Oh - and be sure not to put anything heavy in the lockers with the seacocks in them!

Or don't bother - which, I have to say, would be my approach :oops:

Edit: I see from previous posts that you do still have a MD2c (or is it an MD11c - they're different, I believe) so it won't be that. And I presume that it ran OK, and your trip from Chi to Littlehampton was uneventful?
Last edited by TyroSailor on Mon Mar 19, 2018 10:37 am, edited 2 times in total.
Experience: That which would have been most useful five minutes before you acquired it.

Steve
Tyro (Centaur 1361)
at Southampton

Fulmar433

Post by Fulmar433 » Mon Mar 19, 2018 8:30 am

Have you filled the fuel tank and water tank? I assume they are under the cockpit like most westerly's. There will be a big difference in weight between a full and empty tank.
David Metcalfe
Fulmar 433 Jeddo
Lower Halstow, Kent

TyroSailor

Post by TyroSailor » Mon Mar 19, 2018 10:34 am

The fuel tank is indeed under the after end of the cockpit in a Centaur, but the water tank is up for'd, under the fo'c'sle bunks.
Experience: That which would have been most useful five minutes before you acquired it.

Steve
Tyro (Centaur 1361)
at Southampton

UserError

Post by UserError » Mon Mar 19, 2018 10:35 pm

Hmmm. Trouble is as you say, it facilitates algal growth which looks shabby.

We still haven't escaped yet. Last visit my old battery was unable to start the engine (now believed to be an MD2B) after I got the fuel through. I now have a biggish new battery & going out there tomorrow with the hope that it will start & we can go for a test pootle. If that goes well, we are hoping to make the trip on Saturday. Rain is forecast for then, hence interest in the water pooling!

The tank is half full (40l?) but (the missing) 20l of diesel only weighs less than 20kg but it all adds up I suppose. No idea what's in the water tank but that is up for'd. I'll have to find heavy things to put in the stern locker for now.

I have a recollection of looking astern past the fuel tank & seeing the end of the boat, under the seats/lockers (B layout)? Presumably not then.

I'm hoping that with a full complement, she'll sit better, otherwise we'll have to periodically all stand on one side then the other, or tack gratuitously to drain the water out but that doesn't solve the longer term problem.

Hopefully progress tomorrow!
Thanks
Centaur Polly B
Littlehampton

TyroSailor

Post by TyroSailor » Tue Mar 20, 2018 12:15 am

I generally do a bit of rocking and rolling when I get on board to drain the water into the cockpit. I'd be interested to know, when you do manage to get your rain to drain aft, whether it runs into the lazarette. Mine does!

20l of diesel weighs rather less than 20kg, since it's less dense than water (about 0.83 kg/l). But when you're on board you'll have 150kg+ in the cockpit (assuming there are two of you, with wellies and what have you...) I think the tank is 10 gallons (45.4 litres) actually.

There may be a space under the lazarette, aft of the fuel tank - I haven't looked actually. But definitely none under the lockers below the quarter berths. (Yes, B layout, but I doubt if this differs in A & C)

Do you have the starting handle? And do you know about the decompression levers? Both might help a dodgy battery get the engine going. Give it a bit of a wind round first, before you try to start it, just to distribute the oil and what have you.

Edit: Ah yes, you said it was less than 20kg! Must learn to read.... :oops:

Steve
Tyro (Centaur 1361)
at Southampton

UserError

Post by UserError » Mon Mar 26, 2018 7:55 am

Hi, I knew the battery I had to hand was ropey, just hoped it would do the trick. I tried decompression & the handle. No chance!
New battery did it fine. Took a surprisingly short amount of persistence to get it to run. However my subsequent post supersedes all that...

We've now got the boat "home" so we can investigate everything more thoroughly.

I think at her berth she may dry slightly bow up as there is a gradient to the deepest point between the pontoons. That will help. Also there is less of a seabird problem, so the guano won't be there to impede drainage.

Ours ran into the lazarette somewhat, but the drainage runnels were full of guano. When scraped clean, they appeared to do their job, but didn't look too closely at the time.
Centaur Polly B
Littlehampton