Centaur Main halyard

UserError
Anti Spam measure:Yes
AntiSpam Text:Westerly
Centaur Main halyard

Post by UserError » Tue Jan 23, 2018 10:59 am

Hi,just as I was leaving our boat, I noticed the main halyard was chafed nearly through. Can anyone advise either a suitable length directly, or how much to add to the mast height?

And what diameter? Recommendations of make/type - I've never had to do this before.

If we were considering running the lines aft at some point (maybe in a season or two), is it OK to buy enough length for that so we didn't have to ditch a newish halyard, or would it just get in the way before the mod was done?

Many thanks
Centaur Polly B
Littlehampton

Gary-Cottam

Re: Centaur Main halyard

Post by Gary-Cottam » Tue Jan 23, 2018 12:12 pm

My main halyard (led back to the cockpit is 21m of 10mm Barlowbraid, but maybe add a meter to be sure.
Westerly Centaur 1421 - Gemini
Haven Marina, Ipswich

TyroSailor
Anti Spam measure:No

Post by TyroSailor » Tue Jan 23, 2018 4:28 pm

I replaced mine a couple of years ago as it was also heavily worn, at the point where it passes over the masthead sheave.

10mm diameter, braid-on-braid. The mast is 9.5m, so 19m is the absolute minimum length. I measured that 23m would be plenty to reach back to the cockpit (which I also hope to do eventually) and the bloke in the shop persuaded me (quite easily) that I'd better round it up to 25 just in case. If it's a couple of metres longer than you need it allows you to freshen the nip from time to time, and make it last longer. The extra rope is no more than a minor inconvenience when it comes to coiling and stowing on the mast.

Worth checking the jib halyard too, while you're at it. Same specification, but get a different colour. Oh - and don't even think about buying it from your handy marina chandler. I got most of my ropes about half-price, new, at Netley Boat Jumble. Unless you're in a hurry, which it sounds as if you might be...

Think also about how you're going to bend on the sail. The shop would have charged me £20 to put a splice in the end if I'd let them: I've found a round-turn-and-two-half-hitches onto the shackle is quite adequate. (I first tried a round turn and bowline but found I couldn't hoist the sail high enough). Whatever knot you use, seize or sew the end back to the standing part - you really don't want it coming undone at the crucial moment. If you can splice braided rope, good luck to you - and please can you teach me? :)
Experience: That which would have been most useful five minutes before you acquired it.

Steve
Tyro (Centaur 1361)
at Southampton

Hillary

Post by Hillary » Tue Jan 23, 2018 7:00 pm

My lovely Children bought me a set of Fids for splicing braided rope at Christmas and I have been viewing U-tube Braided Rope Splicing tutorials ever since... I will happily teach you just as soon as i have worked out how to get out of this birds-nets of rope knots and splices.
Moonshine, Centaur CR1149

Fulmar433

Post by Fulmar433 » Tue Jan 23, 2018 10:45 pm

I found this http://www.sw-marine.co.uk/acatalog/Bra ... plice.htmlguide very useful when learning to splice. My first couple of attempts went really well. I may have got a bit complacent, but the third attempt went horribly wrong. I have done a few more successful splices since. Something like a main halyard, it would be well worth sewing the splice to be sure it doesn't work loose, although the harder it is pulled the tighter it gets.
David Metcalfe
Fulmar 433 Jeddo
Lower Halstow, Kent

UserError

Post by UserError » Thu Jan 25, 2018 10:04 am

Thanks for your helpful & encouraging replies.
My guesstimate was 21m, so maybe 25 for margin & wear adjustment as advised.

Tyro, hope to move the boat later in February. Online will do for me as there aren't any near-ish boat jumbles in time, & Jimmy Green seems to have the best prices at present & will do 25m 10mm Marlowbraid for £53

Splicers - Thanks for the tips. I was mulling over this - JG charge £15, but I'm sure I could do it, especially with YouTube help - I can splice laid rope, but that's somewhat easier. If it was just the one, I might succumb & shell out, so I'll have a survey & see what else needs doing.

Any tips on messenger line & getting it out? The boat is afloat on a swinging mooring. I've read up on it but real-life experience is always good to hear, especially boat-specific gotchas.
Thanks
Centaur Polly B
Littlehampton

TyroSailor

Post by TyroSailor » Thu Jan 25, 2018 1:05 pm

The easiest and most reliable way to change the halyards over is to sew them together end-to-end and cover the joint with sticky tape to streamline it. Make sure it'll bend easily to get round the sheave, and be gentle with it. If the old one is already out you have a problem, which can be solved, but requires a trip to the masthead.

You need special fids and other tools for splicing braided rope, I believe.....
Experience: That which would have been most useful five minutes before you acquired it.

Steve
Tyro (Centaur 1361)
at Southampton

josephcrawley
AntiSpam Text:westerly

Post by josephcrawley » Thu Jan 25, 2018 6:04 pm

For doing class 1 eye(aka double braid) splices the samson splice kit is very handy but you can use a ball point pin if that is all you have. I did 4 when I swapped my running rigging. Fun to do but very confusing.

UserError

Post by UserError » Fri Jan 26, 2018 3:43 pm

josephcrawley wrote:
Thu Jan 25, 2018 6:04 pm
For doing class 1 eye(aka double braid) splices the samson splice kit is very handy but you can use a ball point pin if that is all you have. I did 4 when I swapped my running rigging. Fun to do but very confusing.
The Samson kit is about $30-40 but well over twice that in pounds here :cry: whereas the Selma kit is around £30 - is it that much better?

Tyro - thanks re sewing them together - no shortcuts there then...

The old one is still in place, which makes life easier.

What to use for a messenger line? I had wondered about plastic coated washing line, but that can't be sewn.
Centaur Polly B
Littlehampton

Jolly Roger

Post by Jolly Roger » Fri Jan 26, 2018 5:21 pm

UserError wrote:
Fri Jan 26, 2018 3:43 pm
What to use for a messenger line? I had wondered about plastic coated washing line, but that can't be sewn.
Washing line is not suitable as it is too stiff.

I use 3mm braided line. You can get some very cheaply at boat shows or boat jumbles. Usually in a mixed bag of thin ropes for about £5, that's where mine came from.

Halyards should have a loop on the free end to assist in pulling through. You can easily add this to any halyard. The messenger is then tied on and then taped over completely to make it as smooth as possible to run through the sheaves. This photo shows what I mean.

If you do not want to splice a loop in the end using a splicing kit, then there is no problem in using a knot. This link has an animated way to tie one. I would also recommend stitching the end of the rope to the main body as a precaution against any slippage.
http://www.animatedknots.com/halyard/index.php
Roger
Concerto Fulmar FR38
Photos at http://s1294.photobucket.com/user/Conce ... 2/library/

UserError

Post by UserError » Fri Jan 26, 2018 9:29 pm

Thanks JR. Good point about the washing line - I was thinking that it was nice & smooth, and cheap. However I have a spool with 20m of 8mm floating rope which should just do if the mast is 9.5m.

That photo is helpful too.
Thanks
Centaur Polly B
Littlehampton

Jolly Roger

Post by Jolly Roger » Fri Jan 26, 2018 11:45 pm

The 8mm will work fine as you have it.
Roger
Concerto Fulmar FR38
Photos at http://s1294.photobucket.com/user/Conce ... 2/library/

TyroSailor

Post by TyroSailor » Thu Feb 01, 2018 2:07 pm

You don't need a messenger line to swap halyards - just sew them together end to end as described above. 10min. If you can sew. Or use the loops, if you have them. That knot in the yellow rope won't go through the hole though!

Yes please, Hillary :) Didn't see that bit of your post before. What a great present!

Steve
Tyro (Centaur 1361)
at Southampton