Chain Locker Limber Hole

Irene R
Anti Spam measure: No
AntiSpam Text: westerly

Chain Locker Limber Hole

Post by Irene R » Sat Nov 25, 2017 4:27 pm

This was my first season with my new (to me) Westerley Corsair. I was quite surprised to find that after some anchor action the chain locker accumulates quite a lot of water. On inspection, I see there is no limber hole to drain it, which I thought quite odd. Is this normal for the type?
I replaced the electric windlass during the refit following purchase and added a good length of rope rode. The windlass design should restrict the entry of water more than the previous one, the rope was added to replace some of the rustier chain. This rope will probably carry more water below.

Has anyone else experienced similar issues? Has anyone implemented a solution. My thoughts would be to resin in a length of pipe draining the chain locker to the bilge or even the shower tray in the head where it can be pumped away. I note there is a flat area in the bottom of the locker where resin has pooled to a depth of 30-40mm.

The boat is remarkably dry below, with very little water in the bilge, except when ice is melting in the cool box.
I would love t hear ideas and experience from other owners.

Big Andy
AntiSpam Text: Westerly
Location: Me Newport, Boat Milford Haven, soon to be else where.

Re: Chain Locker Limber Hole

Post by Big Andy » Sun Nov 26, 2017 8:05 am

As I'm in the process of altering my anchor locker to enlarge it and hopefully stop the chain from stacking I'm looking at various options. First I had the same problem as you, I solved this by probing around in the bottom of the locker with a screw driver and found there was a drain hole that was blocked solid with years of compacted crud. Once I'd removed this it now drains back to the bilge where it can be pumped away. I will alter it to drain overboard when she comes out of the water after Christmas. This is also on a Corsair which I've recently purchased.
Andy.
Westerly Corsair.
Pemva.

FulmarOnia

Post by FulmarOnia » Wed Dec 13, 2017 9:54 pm

Yes this is a major design fault with the Corsair and many other boats of a similar vintage. At least you only got "some" water in the anchor locker, because the next stage is that the anchor locker fills to the level of the locker door in the forecabin, after which it drains out silently onto the forecabin bunks and soaks bedding and upholstery, and onto the forecabin shelves where you may be keeping dry clothes, after that it drains into the locker below the bunks. If you have a bowthruster fitted ( I do!) it accumulates ahead of the tunnel until enough water has accumulated to escape over the tunnel and ruin the bowthrust motor. Luckily mine didn't quite get that far - but I didempty out between 10 and 20 washing up bowls of water from the locker under the forecabin, and spent many hours using the dryers at Ramsgate and then Eastbourne Marina !

You can tell I've been through this !! So the answer is:

1) make a cover of some sort to go over windlass to divert water washed over decks ( but of course covers can wash off, which is what happened to ours)
2) make holes from the bottom of anchor locker to outside angled slightly downwards. The procedure is to start from inside the locker at it's lowest point with a smallish drill ( say 5mm). Don't break the drill! Then once you have the pilot hole, drill from the outside, increasing drill bit by 0.5 or 1mm a time. Ideally get to 12 or 14mm. Then coat the inside of the holes with epoxy, or epoxy in a this wall tube. This is just to stop water getting into the laminate. Repeat on other side of boat. Buy little s/steel clamshell fittings and glue them on. Don't worry the holes you make will be a long way from the waterline I did it in Eastbourne with boat in the water. ( If you are of larger stature or not very flexible, then drilling the pilot hole with part of your body stuffed in the anchor locker from inside the forecabin may be difficult, in which case pay someone to do the whole job)

Andrew

RAUGHTER
Anti Spam measure: Yes
AntiSpam Text: WESTERLY

Post by RAUGHTER » Thu Dec 14, 2017 5:32 pm

Hi
Fulmar has same system ie hole in bottom of chain locker which drains into bilge. I am thinking of changing to putting in overboard drain as you suggest.
My problem is that I get quite a bit of water into bilge outside heads and it makes its way under heads in heavy seas. I don’t believe it comes from chain locker as I blocked hole into bilge and also stuffed hole in deck where anchor chain goes through in an effort to try and solve the mystery
I have checked all seacocks and through hull instruments but am baffled as to where it comes from.
Any suggestions welcome.
John
Fulmar 397

Fulmar433

Post by Fulmar433 » Thu Dec 14, 2017 10:49 pm

Do you have a Hawse pipe cover? I do on my Fulmar and never get any water in the bilges, apart from when my shaft seal was worn and leaking. I Anchor quite regularly, but it seems enough water drains off the chain as I winch it in (by hand) not to cause any to drain into the bilge. I would think unless you have a gaping hole, it unlikely to be coming in through the chain locker.

You say water near the heads. Have you checked for leaks in the plumbing? Both heads and wash basin. Is it "fresh" or salt water? Could be keel bolts, windows, opening hatches. My Lewmar forehatch cover seal was leaking, but that became obvious in rough weather when I had sea water dripping on the bedding.
David Metcalfe
Fulmar 433 Jeddo
Lower Halstow, Kent

Jolly Roger

Post by Jolly Roger » Thu Dec 14, 2017 11:24 pm

RAUGHTER wrote:
Thu Dec 14, 2017 5:32 pm
Hi
Fulmar has same system ie hole in bottom of chain locker which drains into bilge. I am thinking of changing to putting in overboard drain as you suggest.
My problem is that I get quite a bit of water into bilge outside heads and it makes its way under heads in heavy seas. I don’t believe it comes from chain locker as I blocked hole into bilge and also stuffed hole in deck where anchor chain goes through in an effort to try and solve the mystery
I have checked all seacocks and through hull instruments but am baffled as to where it comes from.
Any suggestions welcome.
John
Fulmar 397
This year I had the same problem of water in the bilge outside the heads in rough weather. At no time did my bow dip any waves, just the occasional wave slapping the topside. There was no water under the forward cabin floor. This led me to run further checks and found the source was water slopping out of the loo bowl when on port tack. I should mention I never turn the loo seacocks off.
Roger
Concerto Fulmar FR38
Photos at http://s1294.photobucket.com/user/Conce ... 2/library/

RAUGHTER

Post by RAUGHTER » Thu Dec 14, 2017 11:43 pm

Hi
It is too much to have come through anchor chain opening. I pretty much totally blocked off small hole ( I have electric winch.) besides I also plugged hole in bottom of locker. It accumulates under square floor board outside heads and from there underneath heads compartment.I have checked all seacocks and replaced loo hoses, all to no avail. The keel bolts are aft of where the water gathers and if it were the keel bolts water would have to gather there first. It is definately salt water. Seals on the hatches have been checked/ replaced.
John
Fulmar 397
Can’t understand how the water gets from the loo to outside the loo compartment and underneath it. In my fulmar the loo is a one piece mounding with no obvious drain holes to the bilges. I must confess that I rarely close the sea cocks either.
John

Jolly Roger

Post by Jolly Roger » Fri Dec 15, 2017 9:29 am

RAUGHTER wrote:
Thu Dec 14, 2017 11:43 pm

Can’t understand how the water gets from the loo to outside the loo compartment and underneath it. In my fulmar the loo is a one piece mounding with no obvious drain holes to the bilges. I must confess that I rarely close the sea cocks either.
I found quite a lot of water under the grating in the shower tray in the loo compartment. This acts like a shallow tray, tilt it and the volume it can retain is reduced. Now add motion, sometimes violent, to the equation and water slops over the edge and runs out under the door. I found tell tale water runs on the floor outside the loo compartment. It also explains why I have a small area of veneer lifting under the hanging locker, so this had happened to previous owners. My solution is very simple. I still do not turn the seacocks off, but ensure there is no water left in the toilet bowl after use.
Roger
Concerto Fulmar FR38
Photos at http://s1294.photobucket.com/user/Conce ... 2/library/

Fulmar433

Post by Fulmar433 » Fri Dec 15, 2017 11:31 am

Hi John,
Could it be the small window in the hanging locker leaking? You probably wouldn't notice it like other windows on the boat and would run down to that area. Doesn't the water pipe or pipes if you have hot water run through that underfloor area? I only have manually pumped cold water and I'm pretty sure the pipe runs under there. I had a manual water pump crack due to frost damage on a previous boat. I always make sure I drain down and pump out as much as possible now.

Talking of the toilet overflowing. Before lifting in one Spring, I completely filled the water tank to the brim. The crane lifted the boat stern high and I found the heads area totally awash. With just an open faucet the water level in the tank was higher than the tap. The basin drain seacock was closed so it filled and overflowed, filling the floor area. I now have an isolator tap under the faucet.
David Metcalfe
Fulmar 433 Jeddo
Lower Halstow, Kent

RAUGHTER

Post by RAUGHTER » Fri Dec 15, 2017 9:51 pm

Thanks for all your input guys , guess I’ll just have to go out in some lumpy weather in the spring when I re launch and have a fresh look at things. I ll try it with loo pumped dry and seacocks off and report back to u all.
John