Self Tailing Winches for Tempest

31ET78
Anti Spam measure: No
AntiSpam Text: Westerly

Self Tailing Winches for Tempest

Post by 31ET78 » Thu Nov 16, 2017 4:25 pm

Hi All. I am planning to replace the Barlow 25 main winches on my 1988 Tempest "Orion" with self-tailing ones (Harken, Lewmar or whatever). At these eye-watering prices I don't want to buy anything too big, but nor do I want to be under-powered for headsail triming etc. Can anybody recommend, based upon experience or mathematical calculation (beyond me) what size ST winch I should go for? Many thanks, Andrew

FulmarOnia

Re: Self Tailing Winches for Tempest

Post by FulmarOnia » Thu Nov 16, 2017 11:06 pm

I fitted a pair of Lewmar 32ST on my Fulmar. I felt they were a little small, so on that basis may be ideal for your Tempest. You can occassionally buy them 2nd hand - usually from someone who has decided his are too small!

Jolly Roger

Re: Self Tailing Winches for Tempest

Post by Jolly Roger » Fri Nov 17, 2017 10:19 am

When I bought my Fulmar there were Antal 40ST for the genoa winches, but being mounted on the end of the coachroof made them useless for singlehanding. My brother was up-grading his boat from Lewmar 43ST to Lewmar 48ST, and I bought the 43's from him. Later I moved the Antal's to become the halyard winches replacing Lewmar 16's. The extra power means most jobs I can do with one arm, not two!

The best advice is to try and buy the most powerful winches you can get, probably secondhand, as you will appreciate how much easier it makes winching. If you know any individuals who maintains boats, they frequently upgrade them with better winches, so ask if they have any in their stores.
Roger
Concerto Fulmar FR38
Photos at http://s1294.photobucket.com/user/Conce ... 2/library/