Re-calking a leaking Centaur keel bolt

Hillary
Anti Spam measure: No
AntiSpam Text: Westerly

Re-calking a leaking Centaur keel bolt

Post by Hillary » Sat Oct 21, 2017 8:25 pm

Hi All,

I went to check on my Centaur in the gales and found the rain had driven in, in a quarter berth. So checking the rest of the boat I found that the starboard rear-most keel bolt was weeping very slightly. Moonshine is normally a bone-dry boat and i like to keep her that way. Can I re-calk this one bolt? its the smallest one on the keel. Can I simply undo it put in some silkaflex and a new stainless steel washer to replace the corroded steel one? or is it more complex do I have to get the boat out of the water or can I do it while she is afloat. Or is this a big job and the keels has to come off?

Thanks all
Moonshine, Centaur CR1149

TyroSailor

Re: Re-calking a leaking Centaur keel bolt

Post by TyroSailor » Sat Oct 21, 2017 8:34 pm

You're lucky! Most of my cockpit seat bolts leak. And the main hatch. And all the saloon windows (slightly). And I shall have a look at the window with the new hinges on Monday :wink:
Experience: That which would have been most useful five minutes before you acquired it.

Steve
Tyro (Centaur 1361)
at Southampton

Fulmar433
Anti Spam measure: Yes

Post by Fulmar433 » Sun Oct 22, 2017 1:23 pm

I have no experience of re-cauking keel bolts, but have heard of people lowering the keels with the boat in the air and re-sealing it. However, whilst out on my Fulamar a few weeks ago I was flicking through the original Westerly Owners hand book and came across a section on the subject. It gave details of re-caulking a single keel bolt whilst still afloat. I can't remember the full details, but it spoke about winding a cotton washer and bedding it in sealant and reseating the nut and washer. It did say it was important to keep the repair dry as it was being reassembled.

The book is on the boat, but a friend has also been asked about helping someone else out with weeping keel bolts on a Centaur and I was going to copy the section for him. If no better information comes up I will post the details on here when I get the book home.
David Metcalfe
Fulmar 433 Jeddo
Lower Halstow, Kent

Hillary

Post by Hillary » Sun Oct 22, 2017 2:27 pm

Thats great thanks - I do have the original users handbook for the Centaur but I don't think it says anything about re-caulking keel bolts.
Steve - let me know what I can help with on Tuesday. I have got my main Hatch dry by clearing out the drain channels, sealing the wood and varnishing the wood that supports the rails. When I find other leaks including windows I get out the "Captain Tolly's Creeping crack cure" which seems to fix most leaks. I just don't think it will work on keel bolts!

TyroSailor

Post by TyroSailor » Sun Oct 22, 2017 8:12 pm

I'd be interested to try some of that - the windows are mildly annoying, but the seat bolts through into the quarter berths can make bedding and/or gear wet. I shall have to replace it all, sooner or later, but I'd rather it was later - I shall need some new (well, secondhand) sails before long!
Experience: That which would have been most useful five minutes before you acquired it.

Steve
Tyro (Centaur 1361)
at Southampton

Fulmar433
Anti Spam measure: Yes

Post by Fulmar433 » Fri Nov 10, 2017 3:48 pm

Sorry its taken a bit of time, but I have now got the information about Repairing a Leaking Keel Bolt from the Westerly Handbook supplied with my 1991 Fulmar. I intended to bring the book home to scan the pages properly as the photos with my phone weren't brilliant. I had been at the boat for winter lift out and with everything else I was bringing home forgot the book again. I have put the images in a Google Album, hopefully this will work:

https://photos.app.goo.gl/pCDQbfCTach0DR9B3

ImageKeel Bolt 1 by d.metcalfe, on Flickr

ImageKeel Bolt 2 by d.metcalfe, on FlickrImage

ImageKeel Bolt 3 by d.metcalfe, on Flickr

ImageKeel Bolt 4 by d.metcalfe, on Flickr

ImageKeel Bolt 5 by d.metcalfe, on Flickr

Edit: I couldn't share the individual images from Google, but it seems to work from Flikr
David Metcalfe
Fulmar 433 Jeddo
Lower Halstow, Kent

Hillary

Post by Hillary » Fri Nov 10, 2017 8:29 pm

Thats brilliant thanks so much!!!

FulmarOnia

Post by FulmarOnia » Sat Nov 11, 2017 9:16 pm

I did this on one keel bolt of my bilge keeled Fulmar. Required a hell of a lot of effort to unscrew the nuts- you need a long bar such as a torque wrench. Seemed to work OK. I did it when ashore and resting on the keels - somehow this felt safer. I had to buy a big roll of that cotton caulking material, so if you want some I can post it to you. Just let me know your membership number and I will use the address in the membership book