Konsort window leaks.

GuyChalker-howells
Anti Spam measure: Yes
AntiSpam Text: westerly

Konsort window leaks.

Post by GuyChalker-howells » Sun Sep 17, 2017 9:56 pm

I hope this is the correct way to do this but I cannot seem to find any indication of how to ask questions /start a query? I have an 84 Konsort which has a persistent leak on one of the small forward opening windows. I have taken the rubber out , turned it around and sealed it around the bottom half. The window glass does not seem to compress properly at the hinge side and I have tried tightening this up almost to the point of it not opening. It is not a good design as water collects on the rim outside but wonder how any other owners have sorted similar problems please? Also my large forward deck hatch has suddenly decided to leak at the hinge / stern face and I cannot see where the water is coming from. The seal is good and it has never leaked before. All very frustrating.

BarryandLinda

Re: Konsort window leaks.

Post by BarryandLinda » Tue Sep 19, 2017 8:45 pm

Can't comment on anything other than the forward hatch. Just press from the inside to see if the perspex or glass lifts slightly. If it does that's where the leak is coming from. To repair keep it lifted slightly and press Sikaflex or similar under the rubber seal. Go outside and check that the rubber seal is not lifting on the outside. If so,press a sealant all around. Make sure there's no dirt under the rubber seal before sealing. Once the sealant is in place make sure there is a heavy weight on the perspex or glass for a few hours to ensure it all goes off properly. Clean excess sealant as per instructions.

capnbanks
Anti Spam measure: No
AntiSpam Text: Westerly

Post by capnbanks » Wed Sep 20, 2017 5:47 pm

I have the same issue with my W33. To try and stop the leaks I purchased and fitted 10mm closed cell neoprene sponge cord, the same as what Trafalgar Yacht Services would have supplied. I think there is a slight improvement, but as you say, the hinges don't allow a tight seal on that side.
I would like to replace all six port lights, but I would not want to replace it with the same design. One because it doesn't work and two because they are very expensive now. However I see nobody makes a square port light anymore. Because of the square cutout shape, either a very large rectangular or round one is needed but it would not look proportionate. I even had a moan at Vetus at the boat show for not making a square port light.
Short term I will seal them up. Long term, I would like to glass over the window and fit a rectangular port light.

Fulmar433
AntiSpam Text: Westerly

Post by Fulmar433 » Wed Sep 20, 2017 8:46 pm

I can't help with the side windows, but my 91 Fulmar started leaking through the forehatch, but only in rough seas when a wave came over the bow. I struggled to find where it was leaking, but although the seal looked good, when compared to a new one it was quite squashed. A new seal solved the problem. My boat has a Lewmar (Ocean, I think) hatch. The details of the parts are on Lewmar's web site and my local chandlers were able to order one.
David Metcalfe
Fulmar 433 Jeddo
Lower Halstow, Kent

RogerLloyd

Post by RogerLloyd » Thu Sep 21, 2017 11:48 am

Leaky square port lights: Obviously the first try is new rubber seals, perhaps a little vaseline if necessary.

Leaky forehatch: I discovered that the wood (that the bolts go through) had shrunk with age. Captain Tolley's Creeping crack cure on the bolt heads and tightening up the bolts did the trick. Also, creaking crack cure into the top side of the sealant around the perspex square.
Roger@RNL

GuyChalker-howells
AntiSpam Text: westerly

Post by GuyChalker-howells » Fri Sep 22, 2017 6:00 pm

Many thanks for your comments and help. Interesting ref the problems with the square hatches not sealing properly at the hinge side. I was going to replace the rubber seal but then realised it was not that. I will , however , replace them and add vaseline as advised!

I will also take a long look at the hatch and fittings when out of the water. It is old and crazed but has never leaked, but maybe time to replace totally.

Again thanks.