Konsort Main Hatch Leak

RogerLloyd

Konsort Main Hatch Leak

Post by RogerLloyd »

The forward port side of the main hatch is dripping water very very slowly when it is raining hard and windy. There was never a leek when the boat was vertical, e.g. in the winter ashore. I first noticed the leak last year when she was taking a lot of green water over the bow when she sailed across Biscay. I taped up the four drain holes of the snood (main hatch housing) forward of the spray hood and that seemed to solve the problem - until now, when I was anchored in driving rain. I have try to remove the snood for inspection by undoing its bolts, which might have enabled it to be slid forwards. However, there seemed to be a bolt either side of the spray hood's wooden base which also holds the snood in place. I would have had to (remove the sprayhood and) drill out the wooden plugs to get at these two bolts, and at this point I chickened out. I have looked above the wooden head-lining boards when at anchor and it was windy & raining and leaking. All was dry, except at the forward corner of the main hatch, and also on the outside of the wooden main hatch frame above that point. Outside the area was all dry behind the sprayhood except for a tiny trickle of water running down hill from this corner point of the main hatch frame. I guess that some sealant somewhere has failed. I must clean out the groove below where the perspex main hatch slides, but the slight debris there looks very dry.

Do I need to drill out these two plugs to remove the snood in order to investigate and fix this problem? If you have had this problem I would be delighted to benefit from your wisdom.
Roger@RNL
RogerLloyd

Konsort Main Hatch Leak

Post by RogerLloyd »

There was never a leak when the boat was vertical, e.g. in the winter ashore. Now the forward port side of the main hatch is dripping water very very slowly when it is windy and raining hard. I noticed the leak first last year when she was taking a lot of green water over the bow when she sailed across Biscay. I taped up the four drain holes of the snood (main hatch housing) forward of the spray hood and that seemed to solve the problem - until now, when I was anchored in driving rain. I did try to remove the snood for inspection by undoing its bolts, which might have enabled it to be slid forwards. However, there seemed to be a bolt either side of the spray hood's wooden base which also held the snood in place. I would have had to drill out the wooden plugs to get at these two bolts, and at this point I chickened out. I have looked above the wooden head-lining boards when it was windy and raining hard, and it is all dry except at forward corner of the main hatch and also on the outside of the wooden main hatch frame above that point. Outside the area was all dry behind the sprayhood except for a tiny trickle of water running down hill from this corner point of the main hatch frame. I guess that some sealant somewhere has failed. I must clean out the groove below where the perspex main hatch slides, but the slight debris there looks very dry.

Do I need to drill out these two plugs to remove the snood in order to fix this problem? If anybody has had this problem before I would be delighted to benefit from your wisdom.
Roger@RNL