Aluminium stanchions

RogerLloyd

Aluminium stanchions

Post by RogerLloyd »

I, no doubt like many other Westerly owners, have a few aluminium stanchions that have welded themselves into their aluminium bases. Eventually, I believe, the corrosion will expand and break the base fitting, and these are not easy to replace because of the difficulty of getting at the underside of the fitting. Before the base breaks I am wanting a method of removing the stainless steel bolt and also removing the stanchion. Please could somebody tell me how to do this? Thanks.
Roger@RNL
Nigel Birch
Anti Spam measure: No
AntiSpam Text: Westerly

Re: Aluminium stanchions

Post by Nigel Birch »

You know it's not too difficult to get at the stanchion bases. I managed to rip one out in Guernsey last year and managed to replace it while I was away. But back to your question. There are several methods to try to unfreeze fixings. Soak in lubricant, impact driver, heat and finally, if nothing else works, drill out with an extractor bit. If the bolt heads are just slotted it would be worthwhile replacing with an Allen.
Nigel
Konsort "Willow" K200 Topsham
RogerLloyd

Re: Aluminium stanchions

Post by RogerLloyd »

I am pleased to say that the stanchion bases have not cracked yet, which is what happened on my previous Centaur. On a Konsort it looks quite difficult to replace the bases because of the difficulty of getting at the underside of the side deck. I wanted to make that unnecessary by removing the stanchion before that happened. Some aluminium stanchions have corroded with their aluminium bases, assisted by a stainless steel bolt, which cannot be removed.
Roger@RNL