Shaft Anode

RogerLloyd
Shaft Anode

Post by RogerLloyd » Sat Sep 02, 2017 8:36 pm

Neither by Konsort nor my previous boat, a Centaur, has a shaft anode. Hull anode, yes. Also the Konsort with a Bukh engine has an internal anode. I saw a Konsort recently with a shaft anode. Does it help to put one on?
Roger@RNL

Nigel Birch
Anti Spam measure:No
AntiSpam Text:Westerly

Re: Shaft Anode

Post by Nigel Birch » Sat Sep 02, 2017 10:08 pm

I've got a shaft anode on my Konsort and it does wither away so I suppose it must be doing something......
Nigel
Konsort "Willow" K200 Topsham

Jolly Roger
Anti Spam measure:No

Post by Jolly Roger » Sun Sep 03, 2017 11:09 am

I have a shaft anode on my Fulmar. It is relatively cheap to fit and certainly does waste away, so must be doing some good.
Roger
Concerto Fulmar FR38
Photos at http://s1294.photobucket.com/user/Conce ... 2/library/

Fulmar433
Anti Spam measure:Yes

Post by Fulmar433 » Sun Sep 03, 2017 5:48 pm

Anodes are relatively cheap items in comparison to propellers and engines that they are there to protect. My Fulmar has a shaft anode, Pear drop anode and of course an internal anode in the engine. I find the shaft anode erodes faster than the pear drop anode on the hull, probably as it is nearer the prop. I normally replace it every 2 years, but last winter I replaced it after 1 year as it was quite badly corroded near the fixing holes. I inspect the engine anode every year and replace it when necessary, which is usually every 2 years.
I would say a shaft anode is pretty much essential to protect the prop. Thinking about it, I haven't had to replace the pear drop hull anode in 7 years ownership. Maybe without the shaft anode that would do more work.
David Metcalfe
Fulmar 433 Jeddo
Lower Halstow, Kent

RogerLloyd

Post by RogerLloyd » Tue Sep 05, 2017 7:53 pm

Thanks for your advice. Looks like I will be fitting a shaft anode. Thanks.
Roger@RNL