New Centaur owner, rough cost for Sails and rigging

Bluereef
Anti Spam measure:Yes
AntiSpam Text:Westerly
New Centaur owner, rough cost for Sails and rigging

Post by Bluereef » Thu Jul 13, 2017 10:59 am

Hi We are new owners of a Centaur and are hoping to give her a real spruce up this winter, As part of this does anyone have a guide price for the cost of replacement sails (furling Genoa) and the cost to replace standing rigging? also how thick is the rigging wire? what tensioners do you use? We are Gosport based so any good suppliers please let us know.

Many thanks in advance

Jolly Roger
Anti Spam measure:No

Re: New Centaur owner, rough cost for Sails and rigging

Post by Jolly Roger » Thu Jul 13, 2017 10:09 pm

Welcome to the WOA forum and Westerly ownership.

At Haslar Marina is XW Rigging, which stands for Ex Westerly Rigging. Paul now runs the business, but his father worked at Westerly making the rigging for all the boats. When Westerly folded, he kept the records of the rigging for virtually all the boats. So he should be able to make new rigging from his records. Price will depend on whether you fit the rigging or you get Paul to do it. Many Westerly owners use his services.

For a new sail, you really need to know what you want. What size of overlap, what type of sail cloth, what cut, is it a furling sail or hanked, if furled do you want a foam luff for better set. Prices can vary massively, but even the way the sails are made can make a huge difference to the price. Many sail makers have the sails cut and basically assembled in the Far East, with final finishing completed in the UK. Personally I would ensure the complete sail is made in the UK. The Southampton Boat Show is not far away and all major sail makers have discounts on offer. So you need to answer the above questions and ask for some quotes. I would guess quotes would be from about £1200.

Being in the Solent you should meet up with Steve on Tyro (TyroSailor) at Kemps Marina on the Itchen. There are a number of other Centaur owners in the Solent that meet regularly with Steve.
Roger
Concerto Fulmar FR38
Photos at http://s1294.photobucket.com/user/Conce ... 2/library/

Gary-Cottam

Post by Gary-Cottam » Fri Jul 14, 2017 1:15 am

+1 for Paul at XW Rigging

Replaced my Centaur standing rigging last winter - very happy
Westerly Centaur 1421 - Gemini
Haven Marina, Ipswich

TyroSailor

Post by TyroSailor » Sat Jul 15, 2017 1:55 pm

I don't know about "meet regularly", Roger, but I have met two other Centaurians in the last few weeks, as well as you in your splendid Fulmar.

Paul (Cochrane) at XW supplied the new wires and fittings, all assembled, for my Centaur two years ago, having come out to look at the boat first. He obviously knows what he's talking about. I'm sure he'd do that for you and fit it as well, at a price. But it's not difficult to do yourself (as I did), especially if the mast is down. If the mast is up, and you're not lowering it, you'll need to go up and work up there, which may not be to your taste! One wire at a time, of course, with the missing one temporarily replaced by a very tight halyard.

The wires are all 5mm diameter and ordinary double-ended bottlescrews are the tensioners you want. If you want advice, or even practical help doing the rigging, ask!

The one you'll have trouble with (I did, and still am) is the forestay!
Experience: That which would have been most useful five minutes before you acquired it.

Steve
Tyro (Centaur 1361)
at Southampton

Bluereef

Post by Bluereef » Wed Aug 09, 2017 3:25 pm

Thanks guys I'll give XW Rigging a call

30wn78

Post by 30wn78 » Sat Sep 09, 2017 2:15 pm

Hi,

Did my rigging last year.
~£600 for 5mm all round except for. 6mm forstay
Including new sta-lok turnbuckles and one swageless fitting. Add mast stepping etc

Sails by Suffolk sails with luff foam genoa and double slab reefed main ~£1600 2013 price

Mike
Safety factor of 3 please.