Konsort anchor warps

Centaurolly
Anti Spam measure: No
AntiSpam Text: Westerly

Konsort anchor warps

Post by Centaurolly »

Morning all,

I was on the boat at the weekend getting everything ready to move my Konsort move to the swing mooring next week and have realised that although I have worked out what I need to make my anchor warps, I made the amateur mistake and forgot to measure up so don't know what actual length of warp I need. :roll:

So was wondering/hoping if any Konsort/Merlin owners out there would be able to advise? Or anyone like to take an educated guess and save me a journey.

Many thanks in advance!
aquaplane
AntiSpam Text: westerly

Re: Konsort anchor warps

Post by aquaplane »

Just use rope for your strops to start with and see how they look at different lengths. Then make some just right, it'll only take an hour to put 4 splices in new rope once you buy it and the thimbles.
Bob.
Centaur now sold. Boating from Tarbert.
TyroSailor

Post by TyroSailor »

Hi Olly

Do you mean anchor warps (i.e. a rope joining the anchor to the boat) or mooring strops (to join the boat to its mooring)?

An anchor warp length is determined by the maximum depth of water you intend to anchor in - and you need at least six times that length. So to anchor in, say, 5m, you need a warp of 30m, plus 10m of chain next to the anchor to lie on the sea bed. All-chain cable is much more secure and you only need three times the depth - but it's more difficult to handle.

Glad to see you're getting ready for sea! (I had my first short sail ths week)
Experience: That which would have been most useful five minutes before you acquired it.

Steve
Tyro (Centaur 1361)
at Southampton
Centaurolly

Post by Centaurolly »

Hi Steve, congrats on the sail! Hope it all went well? I'm moving to poole next Friday, so going to experience the inshore passage at St Aldhelms head for the first time. Should be entertaining,

Yes, sorry incorrect terminology, I mean the strop length. I'm back at the boat so have measured up.

I'm all for new skills, and will take on splicing shortly, but not sure learning on a mooring strop is the best place to start!
TyroSailor

Post by TyroSailor »

With an eye splice (which is what you need) the only difficult bit is the first tuck with the third strand. Once you've got that right the rest is as easy as apple pie. Find someone who can do it and keep buying them pints until you can do it too. (This excellent method of learning splicing is suggested by the great Tom Cunliffe, not me originally, I fear, but I agree.) Don't try it in polypropylene rope (the cheap blue or orange stuff) - it's too slippery. Terylene (polyester) is the stuff to go for, both for practice and for your strops as well.

My trip in Tyro resulted in a strained back as one of the winches had given up. I'm therefore on light duties pending a visit to my local overworked GP. Otherwise the boat was fine thanks, but the wind was too light to give it (or me) much of a test. There's a thread in the 'General' section you should have a look at it.

Isn't it St Alban's Head? I've been through there with an experienced skipper, but the couple of times I've been round myself I went outside the ledge (and the firing range!).
Just looked it up. Alternative names. Bon voyage anyway.
Experience: That which would have been most useful five minutes before you acquired it.

Steve
Tyro (Centaur 1361)
at Southampton