Pageant boom rigging

Timnewquay
Anti Spam measure: No
AntiSpam Text: Westerly

Pageant boom rigging

Post by Timnewquay »

Hi, could anyone point me in the right direction of any illustrations/images showing how to rig the kicking strap on my Pageant, it has a large metal hoop with two wooden rollers. I know this goes around the boom, I'm just not sure where to run the lines from there, as they are a lot longer than anything I've previously encountered.
Thanks.
Vegable

Re: Pageant boom rigging

Post by Vegable »

It's a standard fitting/arrangement on a lot of early Westerlys. If you're in a marina or boatyard have a wander around a have a look at a Centaur Berwick etc etc.
The "horseshoe" arrangement lets the boom rotate to furl the mainsail. It should have a line running off the bottom of the horseshoe and this goes through a similar arrangement to your mainsheet and terminates at the foot of the mast. However I can't remember what keeps the horseshoe in position! Perhaps someone else can help here?
Mike
I've just had a look at the pictures of the Pembroke. It's not crystal clear but if you expand the picture you can just make out the arrangement. One long line goes back to the end of the boom.
http://www.westerly-owners.co.uk/boatRange.php?class=46
It's the middle picture.
"There is nothing worse than running ashore, unless you are uncertain as to which continent that shore belongs"
Timnewquay

Re: Pageant boom rigging

Post by Timnewquay »

Great, thank you.