Main sheet traveller

Gordie
Anti Spam measure: No
AntiSpam Text: Westerly

Main sheet traveller

Post by Gordie »

Hi , I am wanting to replace the wheels on my Centaur main sheet traveller, I have tried undoing the bolts either side of the track but they just seem to turn and bot undo , have felt underneath and can not feel a nut underneath the bolt , any advice would be greatly appreciated , also my roller on my fore sail is impossible to reef in from the cockpit and I have to physically turn it by hand so again any info /advice would be greatly appreciated as I have no ides how this should work ,
Many thanks in advance, Gordie , by the way I love my boat and have had great times aboard already 👍
Fort William
TyroSailor

Re: Main sheet traveller

Post by TyroSailor »

Hi Gordie

I can't help with the traveller bolts as I haven't taken mine to bits yet, but it sounds like they may be held captive by some mechanism to stop them coming loose.

As far as the furling/reefing gear is concerned, the first thing to do is to sluice out the mechanism with fresh water to get rid of the salt and grit that will be clogging it up. Then maybe a spray with a silicone lubricant? Is the furling line led onto the drum at a right angle?
Experience: That which would have been most useful five minutes before you acquired it.

Steve
Tyro (Centaur 1361)
at Southampton
Jolly Roger

Post by Jolly Roger »

Virtually all deck fittings were fixed before the deck was fitted. Every fitting was glassed over to ensure excellent waterproofing and stop potential leaks. You will need to use something like a Dremel to cut the fiberglass away and then fit a spanner or socket to the nut.
Roger
Concerto Fulmar FR38
Photos at http://s1294.photobucket.com/user/Conce ... 2/library/
TyroSailor

Post by TyroSailor »

Heh heh heh.

Except, clearly, my cockpit seating slats, some of whose bolt holes leak :(
Experience: That which would have been most useful five minutes before you acquired it.

Steve
Tyro (Centaur 1361)
at Southampton
Gordie

Post by Gordie »

Thank you for the replies and advice , will keep you posted on my progress ,
Fort William
Vegable

Post by Vegable »

I tnink Roger has probably answered your mainsheet track question. I will add though that I just use a screwdriver blade and the heel of my hand to break through/ break off the fibreglass covering over the nuts. It's very easy to do and scrape it all clear.
Your roller reefing could be many things and not knowing your set up makes it a bit difficult to pin point the problem.
It should be easy to furl the sail by hand turning the drum. Is it? If it isn't then it's the bearings in the drum or at the swivel at the end of the halyard or the halyard is twisting around the forestay at the top. Try pouring boiling water over the drum to wash the salt out of it and the same with the top swivel. If it's halyard wrap, then you need to install a sheave just below where the halyard dissappears into the mast so the the sheave pulls the halyard down and away from the forestay.
If the drum is free to turn, then it has to be your pulley system from the drum to ths cockpit. The rope should come off the drum, through the eyelet arm on the drum and into the first pulley all in a straight line. This is important as it makes sure the rope wraps round the drum evenly and doesn't jam. Then check that all the pulleys back to the cockpit spin freely, pouring boiling water over them to free off any salt. For hand comfort when pulling the reefing line, it should ideally be about 10mm diameter. Any smaller and it bites into your hand and hurts and is difficult to pull.
If none of the above cures it, then it could be a case of the forestay has untwisted its cores and expanded inside the reefing foil and you'll need a new forestay and possibly a new reefing system....but that's an extreeme solution.
Hope this explains what might be happening and it helps.
Good luck
Mike
"There is nothing worse than running ashore, unless you are uncertain as to which continent that shore belongs"
Gordie

Post by Gordie »

Thank you Mike , I will be back on the boat next weekend and check all of your suggestions, much appreciated
Gordie
Fort William
Gordie

Post by Gordie »

Roller reeling
Roller reeling
Image 6.jpeg (30.43 KiB) Viewed 2931 times
Fort William
Gordie

Post by Gordie »

Roller reeling set up on my boat
Roller reeling set up on my boat
Image 7.jpeg (40.01 KiB) Viewed 2929 times
Fort William
Gordie

Post by Gordie »

Boiling water and silicon spray done the job on roller furling, also controlled letting out of genoa , all works well now , new wheels on traveller and have rigged up a pulley system that works just right , many thanks for all the advice ,
Gordie
Fort William