halyards, sheets etc for konsort

gfowler
Anti Spam measure: Yes
AntiSpam Text: westerly

halyards, sheets etc for konsort

Post by gfowler »

I have recently taken on an '84 konsort and realistically I need a complete new set of replacement ropes. I was wondering if anyone might have the correct lengths/rope sizes to hand to cover all my requirements. I have 3 reefing lines and all halyards/ sheets and lines run to the cockpit. I realize it's a big ask but worth a try. Geoff.
Nigel Birch
Anti Spam measure: No
AntiSpam Text: Westerly

Re: halyards, sheets etc for konsort

Post by Nigel Birch »

why don't you replace your current reefing lines,halyards with a mousing line then measure them?
Nigel
Konsort "Willow" K200 Topsham
aquaplane

Post by aquaplane »

Nigel has it right, the same as what you have, unless they seemed a bit short then add a bit.

Or you could work with what you have and see if it is good enough and buy wine with what you save.
Bob.
Centaur now sold. Boating from Tarbert.
Jolly Roger

Post by Jolly Roger »

Geoff

Why do you say the ropes need changing? Is because they are frayed or dirty? Ropes can be washed and used for this season. When I bought my Fulmar, all the ropes were turning green, but I washed them. They stayed on the boat for 2 seasons before I finally decided I wanted to change them. Not all of them needed changing, but I decided to change them all beause I wanted the white on the ropes to be white not grey. If you have ropes that are frayed or too short, then change them and the rest over time. I feel sure you will have far more importants things to do on your "new" boat that will cost far more than you expect. I anticipated my renovations would cost between £12,000 and £15,000, and so far I have spent over £20,000 (and there has been no new engine or major change in electronics) mainly on materials and no labour.

So take a good honest look at your ropes and see if they really do need changing. My running rigging cost about £800 to change, and yours will probaly cost about £700. If you have very deep pockets, then go ahead and change them all. If not save your money for the time being and use it for something more critical, that you may not yet be aware of.
Roger
Concerto Fulmar FR38
Photos at http://s1294.photobucket.com/user/Conce ... 2/library/
TyroSailor

Post by TyroSailor »

You can wash the ropes in a washing machine. Come up lovely, they do.

If the missus won't allow that, take them into the shower with you and trample on them enthusiastically. You'll be amazed how much dirt comes out of them. And all that dirt was wearing away at the internal fibres...

If you do decide to buy new ones, I'd get them from a boat jumble, not from one of the expensive chandlers that abound near marinas. Last year I made the mistake of buying new main and jib halyards for my Centaur from chandlers at about £45 each (25m of 10mm braid-on-braid Terylene) and then went to Netley boat jumble. There was a stall there selling new ropes (from reputable manufacturers such as Marlow) at less than half list price. I got a spinnaker/spare halyard for about £20 and a topping lift (8mm) for about £13 if memory serves. You'll have to pay someone to splice the eyes in them though - or do them yourself. Or make do with knots and sewing.
Experience: That which would have been most useful five minutes before you acquired it.

Steve
Tyro (Centaur 1361)
at Southampton
gfowler
Anti Spam measure: Yes

Post by gfowler »

Many thanks gents for all your ideas, Geoff.