What do you do with old sails?

MalcolmKent
Anti Spam measure:Yes
AntiSpam Text:Westerly
What do you do with old sails?

Post by MalcolmKent » Mon Mar 13, 2017 3:57 pm

We have a Fulmar with a roller reefing headsail. Along with the boat came a set of three more headsails for which I can see no purpose. So what do you do with old sails? They are in really good condition and have a lot of life in them so it would seem a bit of a crime to scrap them but they are cluttering up the garage doing nobody any good. Are everybody's sheds/garages/cupboards getting filled up with old sails, along with the out-of-date flares? Any ideas?

TorRenown
Anti Spam measure:No

Re: What do you do with old sails?

Post by TorRenown » Mon Mar 13, 2017 4:30 pm

I have a Renown, that currently has hank on sails and like you I have several in the loft and garage.

An add on the WOA would soon get rid of them. Quba in Salcombe also buy old sails to make jackets and bean bags etc out of them. But only give £25 a sail. Mine were to good to give away at that price.

Hope that helps

regards
Graham

rogerball0
Anti Spam measure:Yes
AntiSpam Text:westerly

Post by rogerball0 » Mon Mar 13, 2017 6:52 pm

Gave my Centaur's entire suit of original (1971) Ratsey & Lapthorn sails to a garden designer who used them all on a Pergola she built, looked pretty good as i remember, saved a trip down the dump, happy days!

Nigel Birch

Post by Nigel Birch » Wed Mar 15, 2017 4:30 pm

When I upgraded my Genoa, I got £30 for the old one from a place in Topsham that makes them into Jackets and Bags....

http://www.sailsandcanvas.co.uk/
Nigel
Konsort "Willow" K200 Topsham

TyroSailor

Post by TyroSailor » Mon Mar 20, 2017 1:46 pm

You might want to keep a No.2 or 3 jib for use in high winds when the roller genoa would be a terrible shape.
Experience: That which would have been most useful five minutes before you acquired it.

Steve
Tyro (Centaur 1361)
at Southampton