Mainsheet traveller wheels replacement.

sumpter2@sky.com
Anti Spam measure: No
AntiSpam Text: Westerly

Mainsheet traveller wheels replacement.

Post by sumpter2@sky.com »

Most of the mainsheet traveller wheels on my westerly centaur that I have just bought have previously broken and come off.

Does anyone know where I can get a replacement and how best to fit them?

Alternatively is there another solution? Is the mainsheet traveller necessary for ordinary sailing? Can it just be fixed in place? Is there a risk without these wheels? - eg of the traveller coming off and thereby releasing the mainsheet which would seem to be a disaster if so.

All help, advice and comment very welcome!

Thanks,

Nigel,
Cornwall.
aquaplane
AntiSpam Text: westerly

Re: Mainsheet traveller wheels replacement.

Post by aquaplane »

I had a Centaur for 8 years and moved the traveler maybe a dozen times.

If you unload the sheet, ie let it off, you can move the traveler even if the wheels are square. Going down wind I have gathered up the main sheet and moved the traveler and then put tension back on.

Do you race your Centaur? You may want to tweak more if you do. Letting the traveler off in a gust is a nonstarter with the standard set up.

I suspect that a newly bought Centaur will have jobs far more pressing and cheaper to fix than sorting the traveler.

They do sail well though, especially off the wind, you should have a lot of fun in you new ship, enjoy.
Bob.
Centaur now sold. Boating from Tarbert.
Konsortium
AntiSpam Text: Juliette

Re: Mainsheet traveller wheels replacement.

Post by Konsortium »

Hi, I bought some from Trafalgar yachts based in Fareham, Hampshire. You'll find them online and they'll know what size you want.