Centaur rudder tube

30wn78
Anti Spam measure: No
AntiSpam Text: Westerly

Centaur rudder tube

Post by 30wn78 » Sun Feb 12, 2017 9:51 am

Good morning,

Just wondering if anyone has had the pleasure of removing a rudder tube from a centaur?

The lower bearing carrier has flared over the years and I'm a bit concerned the new bearings will be a bit small at the lip.
I'm going to put a hatch in the aft locker to get to the bolts.

Once the bolts have been removed, what holds the two parts together, threaded, a push fit or something else?
Mike
Safety factor of 3 please.

Willhc

Re: Centaur rudder tube

Post by Willhc » Sun Feb 12, 2017 10:53 pm

Hi,

I had my bushes changed last year. The guys changing them found the tube to be slightly oval too. They looked at getting the tube out and got as far as undoing all the bolts (take fuel tank out and a flexible person can get in to work the inside while someone helps from outside). The tube wouldn't budge and they suggested it is two piece, pressed in. Having not been apart for 35+ years, separation now was not going to happen easily.

With time pressures, I opted for their quick answer of getting the replacement bushes reduced slightly so they would become a push fit on the oval tube. Not ideal and wear is going to happen faster than it should, but a lot quicker (and cheaper than a new rudder tube).

Interested to hear where you end up.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

30wn78

Post by 30wn78 » Mon Mar 06, 2017 10:44 pm

Thank you for your response.
I've bottled it in the end and just fit in the same tube.
Properly won't last as long but not too expensive.
Thanks again.
Safety factor of 3 please.

rogerball0
Anti Spam measure: Yes
AntiSpam Text: westerly

Post by rogerball0 » Thu Mar 09, 2017 8:31 am

Yep i have and its a pain in the arse, although i took the back end of the boat out on mine so access was better. The top plate of the rudder tube that is in the cockpit is threaded and that winds onto the top of the tube which is also threaded, the whole thing is held in place (on mine) with four bolts at the top (in the plate and cockpit floor) and four in the bottom (through the hull).

https://photos.google.com/share/AF1QipP ... ZzZG8waHJB

cheers

Willhc

Post by Willhc » Fri Mar 10, 2017 8:24 am

That is a top tip - knowing the post is threaded, not your method of getting easier access...

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Carima

Re: Centaur rudder tube. Time to remove. 1 hour

Post by Carima » Tue Nov 14, 2017 8:55 am

Hi
An old post I know but I have just done this yesterday and its not too bad a job!!

1: unless you have an 8 year old you can throw in the aft compartment after taking out the fuel tank, cut a hole in the cockpit deck about 15cm back from the rudder tube and leave the tank in. (I removed the tank which was unnecessary)
2: Cut a hole big enough to get an arm in about 20cm by 20cm and about 10cm back from the tiller. Have a look underneath as there is a strengthener running across the underneath of the cockpit floor about 50cm back from the base of the tiller.
3: undo all bolts top and bottom. I used mole grips to hold the top nut on the bottom plate as I was on my own.
4: This is the bit that got for me for an hour....The top of the tube is threaded!! unscrew the plate in the cockpit anticlockwise.
5: the next hour was took up by taking all the sikoflex off and breaking away all the filler someone had used to try and stop the leak. A piece of wood, a mallet and a hefty thump and the tube came away.

SIMPLE

All good? NO
I now have the tube and bearings out and a hole in the bottom of the boat which is significantly bigger than the tube, hence the previous owner with the filler and sikoflex maybe. Now have to find out a way to make the hole the right size or find out if this is normal and the bottom plate and lots of sikoflex is the seal.

Without the time wasted on sikflex and the screw threaded top I reckon it would take an hour maximum.
New bearings:
Now I am going to take the tube, old bearings and rudder to trafalgar yachts (they seem to be the best and most approachable as they have replied to all my questions) and fit the bearings there because every thread I have read says the new bearings are all too big and they have to be machined down. Trafalgar yachts say they will turn them if necessary, I think they can even make them to order so with the tube and rudder there it shouldn't be a problem to get the right size. Ill keep you posted.
Hope this helps others.

Willhc

Post by Willhc » Tue Nov 14, 2017 8:57 pm

A very useful update. Don’t forget to take photos of your handiwork! How round is your sterntube - oval was part of my problem? Looking forward to the update to hear how you get on.

Perhaps one for summarising as a page on the members Wiki site as a centaur repair reference once you are finished and feeling inclined to leave a legacy?

Carima

Post by Carima » Sat Feb 10, 2018 4:43 pm

Well!! What a nightmare doing the so called easy bit was, after a knackering hour trying to fit a new bearing to the bottom of the tube...noticed it IS slightly oval. I managed to get a bearing in but couldn't fit the rudder through, I think the oval tube squeezed the bearing... Anyway as the problem was the leak from the plate attached to the hull and not the bearing, I refitted the old bottom bearing in the end..after reading all the centaur threads about rudder tubes, I wonder why so many are oval?