Steering Cables

Westergate
Anti Spam measure: No
AntiSpam Text: Westerly

Steering Cables

Post by Westergate »

Hi

It's my first post here so hello to all my fellow Westerly owners :)

Apologies if this is the wrong section it just seemed the most appropriate of the options available, I've got a Oceanquest and the steering sometimes feels very stiff under load and other times its totally fine. I got somebody to take a quick look at it and he thinks its an issue with the steering cables but he's not sure where to get replacements from, they are in a blue plastic tube and apparently they have a nylon sleeve to protect from friction and when that wears down it can cause the problem I'm having, does anyone know where I can get replacements from?
mikebuggy

Re: Steering Cables

Post by mikebuggy »

Yes, they are Lewmar steering cable conduit. Available from Aquafax. Very good but very expensive. Currently thre are very few alternatives in UK. Make sure you measure accurately and order a length to cover both cables. The conduit is multilayered and the outer sheath is armoured. Best cut with an electric (metal) disk cutter. The inner core is teflon/nylon.
You should replace the inner wire cables at the same time. Any rigger will make these fairly cheaply. You should grease the new wires with teflon grease. If you want to be really clever, you can also buy Lewmar mid-length fittings which have grease nipples. Obviously this would need both conduits to be cut at the half way point.
There is more info on this site if you do a search.
Westergate

Post by Westergate »

Excellent, thanks Mike, that is exactly what I was after :)
SilentFalcon

Post by SilentFalcon »

Before you spend money on new cable, I suggest you look carefully at all the cable that can make contact with the quadrant. Any dismantling would be necessary anyway to replace the wire, so you will not waste the effort.
We had a similar intermittent problem which turned out to be an abandoned engine stop cable which had not been removed and from time to time, it became entangled with the steering wire, locking solid on one occasion
Good luck, SilentFalcon