Anchor for Fulmar

DerekH
Anti Spam measure: No
AntiSpam Text: Westerly

Anchor for Fulmar

Post by DerekH »

Apologies as I know there have been earlier posts about suitable anchors as alternatives to CQRs. I have a 25lb CQR at present which for a nearly 32ft boat seems slightly undersized except for benign conditions. An upgrade to a 35lb is one option but has any other Fulmar owner found a satisfactory arrangement for a Rocna or similar alternative? Holding power to weight is generally considered better and I want to avoid back strain! (the previous owner says the windlass cannot be relied on - I aim to service it but cannot be sure it will be reliable) I think a Vulcan12kg (from the Rocna range) might work if I can find a way of sitting this on the (twin) bow roller and protecting the bow with a stainless protector. I have mocked it up in cardboard and it seems just possible but others may have some experience or alternatives they could share with me?
Derek
Thalmia, Fulmar FR25 - The Exe
JulianS
AntiSpam Text: westerly

Re: Anchor for Fulmar

Post by JulianS »

Rocna Anchor - Fulmar
Rocna Anchor - Fulmar
Screen Shot 2017-02-11 at 22.27.33-1.png (123.69 KiB) Viewed 1986 times
We replaced a CQR with a 15kg Rocna - we also tried the Manson supreme, but the Rocna fitted better.
TyroSailor

Post by TyroSailor »

If you do replace your 25lb CQR and want to sell it, I might be interested as my Centaur has only a 15lb Danforth (and 16lb CQR). It's OK as a lunch hook but for a worry-free sleep I think I want a bigger one. I've already increased the cable from 25m of 6mm chain to 35m of 8mm.
Experience: That which would have been most useful five minutes before you acquired it.

Steve
Tyro (Centaur 1361)
at Southampton
DerekH

Post by DerekH »

JulianS, that is very helpful. I shall go for the 15kg Rocna as well. I was considering the 12kg Vulcan but having moved int up in cardboard it doesn't sit as well as the Rocna. Did you ever find you needed a bow protector or shield. I have read a lot of mixed reviews for the SS options but wondered whether a bow fender might be necessary to protect the GRP?

TyroSailor - I will probably have 2x 25lb CQRs spare - one from a previous boat when I replaced it with a Lewmar - both genuine articles - Sowester or similar. Not sure if you can do personal messages via this web site - if so I could email some photos and more details. One is better looking than the other. I'd be happy to let you have one for a song and the other for not much more!! I am in Devon - near Exeter which means not your neck of the woods. Let me know if you want to take it further.
Derek
Thalmia, Fulmar FR25 - The Exe
aquaplane
AntiSpam Text: westerly

Post by aquaplane »

TyroSailor wrote:If you do replace your 25lb CQR and want to sell it, I might be interested as my Centaur has only a 15lb Danforth (and 16lb CQR). It's OK as a lunch hook but for a worry-free sleep I think I want a bigger one. I've already increased the cable from 25m of 6mm chain to 35m of 8mm.
I had a 10Kg Delta on my Centaur which was the size above the recommended 6Kg one. I normally used the Danforth on 50m of chain though, but 10m is plenty if you are only in 6' of water.
Bob.
Centaur now sold. Boating from Tarbert.
philipstevens
Anti Spam measure: Yes

Post by philipstevens »

DerekH wrote:
TyroSailor - I will probably have 2x 25lb CQRs spare - one from a previous boat when I replaced it with a Lewmar - both genuine articles - Sowester or similar. Not sure if you can do personal messages via this web site - if so I could email some photos and more details. Let me know if you want to take it further.
Click on TyroSailor's name and send a PM via the web-site.

Philip - moderator.
regards,
Philip.
Moderator and Admin.

Previous owner of Konsort Duo, Oyster, KD22

Join the WOA - only £15 per year (UK) http://www.westerly-owners.co.uk/ab_join.php

http://www.marketmechina.com/ & http://www.celticwebdesign.net