Vetus manual windlass

BarryandLinda

Vetus manual windlass

Post by BarryandLinda » Thu Jan 05, 2017 12:14 pm

My Vetus manual windlass has seized, and I'm trying to get it working again. I've removed it from our Corsair, and removed the drum, emptied ( a small amount of ) oil and soaked it internally( for days) with a professional 'loosener' ( not WD40). It's still seized. I've downloaded the exploded diagram from Vetus ( not much help), and asked them for guidance on oil type and amount ( no help at all ). If anyone out there has any tips, or has done the same I'd be grateful to hear from you.
many thanks
Barry

Jolly Roger
Anti Spam measure: No
AntiSpam Text: Westerly

Re: Vetus manual windlass

Post by Jolly Roger » Thu Jan 05, 2017 1:33 pm

It is likely that it is either corrosion or salt that is causing the seizure. If the professional loosener has not worked, then I would try boiling water. That usually will dissolve any salt build up. You may have to try it several times, or better still boil the unit on a stove if that is possible. If it is corrossion, then either treatment should help, but only fully dismantling it will allow you to clean all the parts. So keep at the treatments for some weeks and hopefully it will work.

Cannot help with the oil, but feel someone else should know.
Roger
Concerto Fulmar FR38
Photos at http://s1294.photobucket.com/user/Conce ... 2/library/

BarryandLinda

Post by BarryandLinda » Sat Jan 07, 2017 4:32 pm

Firstly a thank you Roger for the tip on boiling water. Unfortunately it didn't work, but definitely worth a try and it took me a while to scrub the big pan clean after a couple of hours of boiling away. So, it's still seized so I'm going to dismantle it and give it a refurb. Has anyone out there done this? If so any tips?
regards
Barry

Patrick Farrell
Anti Spam measure: Yes
AntiSpam Text: westerly

Post by Patrick Farrell » Wed May 17, 2017 8:21 am

Although tedious to do lots of gentle tapping all over with a small hammer tends to break up the grip from corrosion. Have just had to do that on a friends lewmar capstan which is now up & running.

BarryandLinda

Post by BarryandLinda » Wed May 17, 2017 7:00 pm

Thanks Patrick. After a lot of tapping and eventually using an extractor I got the whole thing into its component parts and found that two of the bushes needed to be replaced and all the gears etc were dry. Bushes now replaced and the gears well greased and reinstalled. It works better than ever and my wife made a cover for it which, together with regular maintenance should ensure a long and useful life.
Regards
Barry