Griffon windlass

Whiskers
Anti Spam measure: No
AntiSpam Text: westerly

Griffon windlass

Post by Whiskers » Sun Dec 18, 2016 2:03 pm

Is it possible to fit a manual or electric windlass to a Griffin MK2 bearing in mind the limited space on the foredeck ?

MikeR

Gangesboy
Anti Spam measure: Yes
AntiSpam Text: Westerly

Re: Griffon windlass

Post by Gangesboy » Sun Dec 18, 2016 2:20 pm

Mine has a Lofrans windlass on the foredeck, a manual one that is. Can't see a problem fitting an electric one if you are handy.
Good luck, let us know how you get on.

BrightStar

Post by BrightStar » Sun Dec 18, 2016 8:14 pm

Yes please let us know how you get on, a project for a bit later. I have seen a couple of griffons with windlass's. I will be interested to see how you lead the chain into the locker, through the original hawsepipe or create a new one.

Alan
Brightstar
Griffon
On the Orwell

22AuntBetty

Post by 22AuntBetty » Wed Jan 11, 2017 5:40 pm

Hi,
I've just found a Simpson and Lawrence vertical manual windlass which I am fitting on my Griffon. It has chain gypsy and rope drum, unfortunately, but I'm going to give it a go!
Yet to see how the chain comes off the gypsy:- I may be grinding with one hand and feeding chain down the hawse-pipe with the other!
This will be a change of modus operandi as, like other posters, I normally leave the chain piled on the foredeck to drain and dry. Unfortunately, I usually forget about it, arrive at our swinging-mooring buoy, then First Mate has to steam round in circles while I frantically feed chain down the hole!
It remains to be seen which wins:- a smelly chain locker or the hernia!