Air draft of a Merlin

sgr143
Anti Spam measure: Yes
AntiSpam Text: Westerly

Air draft of a Merlin

Post by sgr143 »

Does anyone know what the air draft of a Merlin (28) is? I was thinking of venturing up to Fareham on Wednesday around high tide; propititious for getting up to Fareham quay for lunch, but less so for getting under the powerlines that guard the upper reaches of Fareham lake. (12m above HAT). The info isn't in any handbooks I have here at home, nor can I find it via websearching.

Ta

Steve
Steve Roberts - "Osprey" Merlin MN74 at WicorMarine
Nigel Birch
Anti Spam measure: No

Re: Air draft of a Merlin

Post by Nigel Birch »

Well it says here:

http://www.westerly-owners.co.uk/wester ... n_28_3.pdf

mast height is 11.187m one would hope the measurement is from the waterline....how long is a VHF antenna another metre?
Nigel
Konsort "Willow" K200 Topsham
sgr143

Post by sgr143 »

Thanks Nigel. One of those times when one can't see for looking! Yes, so with waterline to mast step of about 2m, vhf aerial on the top too, I should be going for 15m clearance to have even an uncomfortable safety margin. Not Fareham , then...
Steve Roberts - "Osprey" Merlin MN74 at WicorMarine
mikebuggy

Post by mikebuggy »

Not sure how I worked it out, but I did bring my tall-mast Storm up there, and years earlier, my old Rival 32. There's quite a few bigger boats alongside there now. A friend of mine sails his 38ft Cat from there. I note that the current Portsmouth Harbour Handbook gives the height as 12m above HWS. My Fareham friends say they stay slightly out of the channel and away from the lowest part of the catenary. Trafalgar Yachts, the adjacent boatyards, and Fareham Sailing Club, do move quite big boats up and down the creek and would know more about how to play the game.
TrafalgarYachts
AntiSpam Text: Opposite Easterly

Post by TrafalgarYachts »

We've had an Oceanranger up here alongside at Fareham.
Caroline