Centaur kicker (conversion)

Willhc
Anti Spam measure: No
AntiSpam Text: Westerly

Centaur kicker (conversion)

Post by Willhc »

I have recently purchased a Centaur that has the original mast and boom. There is no kicker (or claw) with her at the moment.

The main is cut for slab reefing.

With time I may look to put a ZSpars boom on, with the sprung kicker pole also. For now though, a rope option would be better than nothing! Any suggestions for fitttings to go onto the boom? Previous posts are old and talk of the Barton slab reefing kit, but not about conversion to mount a fixed kicking strap. Suggestions on parts (manufacturer, part code etc) would be much appreciated.

Thanks
aquaplane
AntiSpam Text: westerly

Re: Centaur kicker (conversion)

Post by aquaplane »

I think you will find a groove along the bottom of your Proctor boom, mine had one. You should be able to get a fitting to go in the groove something like the Selden ones on page 73 in this pdf:
http://www.seldenmast.com/files/1456482 ... 08v7-E.pdf

Selden took over from Proctor.

I had a replacement Z Spar mast but retained the Proctor boom so it is possible to mix and match some fittings.

Not easy to see because it's just a sailing pic as opposed to one taken of the fitting but here goes:

Bob.
Centaur now sold. Boating from Tarbert.
Jolly Roger

Post by Jolly Roger »

I am just in the process of fitting a solid kicker to my Fulmar. At the Southampton Boat Show I chatted with Selden and Z Spars, and I chose Z Spars as they were about half the price. They are well aware of the fittings required on the boom and mast for the solid kicker, their price list has prices for the correct fillings. On my Kemp (Selden) mast there was already the correct fitting on the boom, but on the mast the swivling attachment fitting was different to the Z Spar fitting. However they are altering the fitting for free. I cannot recommend Z Spars any higher, but do have a chat with them.
Roger
Concerto Fulmar FR38
Photos at http://s1294.photobucket.com/user/Conce ... 2/library/
Willhc

Post by Willhc »

Roger, Bob,

Many thanks for your helpful advice. I had not considered the zspars solid bang onto the existing boom - too obvious!

Will