Oceanranger fresh water tanks

Vegable
Anti Spam measure: No
AntiSpam Text: Westerly

Oceanranger fresh water tanks

Post by Vegable »

Having spent the last 3 years in Arisaig and been filling the tanks with peaty highland water, this winter I need to clean out my fresh water tanks. You should see the colour of my water filter! However on my boat I can't find an inspection hatch on either tank. Am I being thick or do I have to physically remove each tank and poke a hosepipe in one of the outlets?
Mike
"There is nothing worse than running ashore, unless you are uncertain as to which continent that shore belongs"
mikebuggy

Re: Oceanranger fresh water tanks

Post by mikebuggy »

I think your'e right....there are none on mine! I just 'superchlorinate' my tanks at the start of each year. This means heavily over-dosing the first fill with purifier or chlorine pills, then leaving it to soak overnight. Then flush through the system continuously with fresh water, until the chlorine is tolerable. I also lightly chlorinate (only 1 or 2 'pills') every 2nd or 3rd fill. I've never used any filters, and I drink straight from the tap. This includes living onboard for extended periods in the tropics and also in northern waters.
Vegable
Anti Spam measure: No
AntiSpam Text: Westerly

Re: Oceanranger fresh water tanks

Post by Vegable »

Thanks Mike.
I've never treated any of my tanks and that's since 1992. Never drained them or specially filled them and I too drink straight from the tank. Reading other people's experiences I think I must have been lucky. Sometimes ignorance is bliss!
Mike
"There is nothing worse than running ashore, unless you are uncertain as to which continent that shore belongs"