Deck U - Bolt shroud fitting & water leak

aussimed

Deck U - Bolt shroud fitting & water leak

Post by aussimed »

I have a westerly Sealord and one of the deck U - bolt fitting that connects to the chain plate to hold the aft lower shroud is leaking water. What's the best solution? Is it adequate to seal the outside of the U - bolt plate where it meets with the deck surface , or should the fitting be removed, put new bedding and the U - bolt threads sealed as well?

Also, does any body have experience with sealing the side windows, as one of the marsh Walters window is leaking water from between the aluminium frame and the Perspex. The rubber seal could have perished.

Thank you.
TyroSailor
Anti Spam measure: No
AntiSpam Text: Westerly

Re: Deck U - Bolt shroud fitting & water leak

Post by TyroSailor »

I haven't done this, but I strongly suspect that a 'bodge' on the outside only will at best be a temporary repair. :( I think you'll have to bite the bullet.
Experience: That which would have been most useful five minutes before you acquired it.

Steve
Tyro (Centaur 1361)
at Southampton
mikebuggy

Post by mikebuggy »

Hi. I am a surveyor and have done this job a number of times. This defect applies to all deck stepped 2 spreader rigs with aft lowers (ie not just westerly) and should not be treated lightly. The angle of the aft lowers means that their chainplates are subject to a very high and variable load which leads to flexing at the deck interface. Once water is present within the interface, the area beneath the deck plate is subject to crevice corosion and this, combined with the flexing, causes failure just below deck level where the studding joins the plate. It is important to replace aft lower chainplate deck fittings every 10 to 15 years. They should be angled in exactly to match the lie of the aft lowers. The deck plate should be larger than the original. Below decks the studs should be long enough to be secured to the chainplates by double lock nuts..not nylock nuts.
If you do not know the age of the deck fittings and they are leaking, I would suggest that they are already 'working' and building up towards work-hardening and crevice corosion problems. I would suggest renewal, and resealing with a proprietary deck sealant, having first dried out the area around the deck holes. Not a difficult job, and I have done it with the mast in-situ. Good luck.
aussimed

Post by aussimed »

Thank you for the advice. Appreciated. Will do a temporary repair by sealing from the outside and then when weather permits, will have fitting removed and re - bedded and checked.

I would just like to point out that the Sealord rig is a single spreader rig and not a double spreader, if this has any influence or makes a difference on the stresses involved.

Thank you.
mikebuggy

Post by mikebuggy »

Of course I forgot...I think the Oceanlord had the double spreader rig. The principal is still the same in that the aft lowers are nor very far aft really...to allow you to free off your boom for running. The resulting steep angle of the aft lowers places a high and varying stress on these deck fittings, particularly in rough weather when the main drive area of the mainsail is centered around the hounds.