Cost of Konsort genoa UV strip?

Konsortium
Anti Spam measure: No
AntiSpam Text: Juliette

Cost of Konsort genoa UV strip?

Post by Konsortium » Wed Apr 20, 2016 8:11 pm

Has anyone replaced the UV strip on their Genoa and what would be considered a competitive cost? I'm based in the SE region.

aquaplane
AntiSpam Text: westerly

Re: Cost of Konsort genoa UV strip?

Post by aquaplane » Wed Apr 20, 2016 9:15 pm

I had one replaced on my Centaur by Goacher for £125 iirc.

I have heard that it's cheaper if you remove the remains of the old one, the unpicking is time consuming and costly.

The best bet is to talk to your local loft, or one that has local pickup, and see what they say, for such a small job paying for transport could be significant.
Bob.
Centaur now sold. Boating from Tarbert.

Jolly Roger
AntiSpam Text: Westerly

Post by Jolly Roger » Wed Apr 20, 2016 10:31 pm

Definitely agree removing the old strip will certainly reduce the replacement UV strip.

Suggest you try Wilkinson Sails in Faversham and Burnham. They have a good reputation and are reasonable.
http://wilkinsonsails.co.uk/
Roger
Concerto Fulmar FR38
Photos at http://s1294.photobucket.com/user/Conce ... 2/library/

Fulmar433
Anti Spam measure: Yes

Post by Fulmar433 » Sun Apr 24, 2016 11:23 am

Wilkinson's at Faversham replaced the UV strip on my Fulmar Genoa this winter for £216 incl VAT. Looks as though they have made a very good job of it, although my one trip out so far, there was virtually no wind so I haven't tested it properly yet.

I didn't remove the old strip first. I had hoped that the couple of splits in the old one were repairable, but with the sail laid out on the loft floor there were other places that would have probably split this year. They could have repaired it, and I could probably got another season or two out of it, but decided it was best to go for replacement while the strip was still protecting the sail.
David Metcalfe
Fulmar 433 Jeddo
Lower Halstow, Kent

Gangesboy

Post by Gangesboy » Sun Apr 24, 2016 12:24 pm

Just to chuck in my tuppence worth, I put my genoa ( Griffon ) into Saturn sails in Largs to get the UV strip and two panels, plus some stitching done and they laundered it,all for £355inc Vat, this included picking it up from Troon and dropping it back, first class service as usual.

aquaplane
AntiSpam Text: westerly

Post by aquaplane » Sun Apr 24, 2016 11:55 pm

Gangesboy wrote:Just to chuck in my tuppence worth, I put my genoa ( Griffon ) into Saturn sails in Largs to get the UV strip and two panels, plus some stitching done and they laundered it,all for £355inc Vat, this included picking it up from Troon and dropping it back, first class service as usual.
I was thinking of asking for a quote for a new main from Saturn but if they charge that much for a UV strip I don't think I will bother. What does "and a couple of panels" entail?
Bob.
Centaur now sold. Boating from Tarbert.

Gangesboy

Post by Gangesboy » Mon Apr 25, 2016 11:05 am

Hi Bob, two sail panels were torn during a F7,the safest way to repair the sail was to let in two new sail panels, and replace some loose stitching, plus the UV panel. I budgeted for £500,there was a lot of work to be done, and was highly delighted with what I paid.
I'm defiantly going to them when I need a new main, give them a try, you don't have to buy!