Centaur Boom attachment

Jaymze
Anti Spam measure: No
AntiSpam Text: Westerly

Centaur Boom attachment

Post by Jaymze »

The boom is attached to the mast with a bolt, the nut underneath is loose - is this normal, makes me nervous?!

By the way when I look at these images I can see them, but attachments on other threads all appear corrupted?
mikebuggy

Re: Centaur Boom attachment

Post by mikebuggy »

I'm afraid thats a bit of a made up system there. A rigging toggle (bottom part of a rigging bottle screw) has been used as a goose neck bolt. A proper gooseneck bolt is smooth (unthreaded) where it travels through the moving parts and only has threads at the lower end. If the correct fittings are used, the bolt should be a very close fit (ie no rattling around). The bolt will also have provision for a through split-pin to hold the nut in place. The bolt should have something like an eye on the top end to allow the fitting of mainsail tack attachment and reefing hooks. Obviously, the boom also needs to be able move freely up and down as well as side to side.
Jaymze
Anti Spam measure: No
AntiSpam Text: Westerly

Re: Centaur Boom attachment

Post by Jaymze »

Thanks for the info, that really helps. Short term I think some duck tape on the nut, whilst I track down something like you describe!

Cheers,

J