Swage Stud sizes for my Westerly Cirrus

jim1945
Anti Spam measure: No
AntiSpam Text: westerly

Swage Stud sizes for my Westerly Cirrus

Post by jim1945 »

Does anyone know if Westerly used the threads per inch (TPI) standard or the metric thread pitch standard for studs used with turnbuckles? The wire size listed in the Cirrus sales brochures back in the late 1960's shows wire size as 3/16 inch, not that this sheds any light on the subject.

Thanks for any help you can be.

Jim
mikebuggy

Re: Swage Stud sizes for my Westerly Cirrus

Post by mikebuggy »

Not sure why you would want to re-use old studs and rigging fittings? S/S Rigging hardware fails as frequently as, if not more frequently than, the wires themselves and should really be changed with every major re-rig of standing rigging. Not as frequently perhaps as the much hyped 10 years but certainly by having a rolling programme so ideally nothing is over, say 15 or so years old. The deck shroud fittings themselves, and their fastenings, should also be changed once or twice during the boat's life as these too are stressed and do often fail.
You should certainly not be considering using any standing rigging components from the original build era. As it happens, both imperial and metric are widely used and imperial is still widely available. Most UK and US rigs used imperial.
jim1945
Anti Spam measure: No
AntiSpam Text: westerly

Re: Swage Stud sizes for my Westerly Cirrus

Post by jim1945 »

Thanks for the response Mike. The reason for the question is that I wanted to order replacements for my standing rigging and wasn't sure whether Westerly used a metric (mm) stud size or the USA, SAE inch stud sizes. The wire size for my Cirrus is the 3/16 inch size. However, my boat is set up with swaged eyes on each end of the 1X19 wire, no swaged studs. I didn't realize this when I posted the original question. At the turnbuckle end of the wire there is a toggle that connects the turnbuckle to the swaged eye. The studs in the turnbucles are 3/8 inch, 24 TPI which for a 22 foot boat with 225 square feet of sail is really robust and generally oversized.

Regarding a replacement schedule, this year I will replace the wire and not the turnbuckles. As I said the turnbuckles are really large for a 22 foot boat. In addition I sail in a fresh water environment, not salt water, and corrosion is at a minimum.