Centaur -water under engine?

Backwaters
Anti Spam measure: No
AntiSpam Text: Westerly

Centaur -water under engine?

Post by Backwaters » Sun Jan 10, 2016 1:48 pm

Hello all,

My Centaur is laid up ashore for the winter, the engine has been winterized and I cleaned out the bilge under the engine back in November. It was dry as a bone under the engine. I opened up the companionway engine cover today to discover maybe 10 liters of water. Any ideas where this would be coming from?

Thank you, Jason

rogerball0
Anti Spam measure: Yes
AntiSpam Text: westerly

Re: Centaur -water under engine?

Post by rogerball0 » Sun Jan 10, 2016 8:33 pm

Hi Jason what does it taste like, salty or fresh, you'd be amazed how much condensation can create, not sure 10L but i always had the prop sump half filled and this i put down to rain coming in through the windows and companionway as well as condensation.

cheers

Uncle Albert

Post by Uncle Albert » Sun Jan 10, 2016 10:38 pm

I also seem to get a consignment of water in the engine compartment bilge over the year. On top of this is usually a layer of oil which startled me the first time I saw it. I know not where either of these substances come from as I do not know of any leaks and teh engine does not use oil. It is certainly NOT Salty in my case.
My guesses in my instance are: Front of engine cover hatch in cockpit floor, rear cockpit locker (not possible to seal fully).

It is a pain to get rid of as the access is quite so poor so I have resorted to baby disposable nappies (as cheap as I can get) and a coat hanger wire to push it around the bilge and perform its absorbing action and a black bin bag to collect them in. That reminds me its a job I have to do next week Argghhh.
Uncle Albert
CR1702

aquaplane
AntiSpam Text: westerly

Post by aquaplane » Mon Jan 11, 2016 8:29 am

One possibility, there are unfortunately many, is driven rain coming through the washboards.

I had a leak when on the hard which I had never had before, the boat doesn't weathercock as it does when on my swinging mooring. Rain ran down the washboards and came in through two cracks in the corners of the companion way frame where the bits of wood met.
Bob.
Centaur now sold. Boating from Tarbert.

Backwaters

Post by Backwaters » Mon Jan 11, 2016 10:09 am

Thanks all for the ideas. I may have exaggerated as it's maybe only a couple of liters. I think it's probably a combination of the ideas suggested: condensation, washboard, and leaks around the engine compartment hatch in the cockpit floor.

Regards, -Jason

sentoray
Anti Spam measure: Yes
AntiSpam Text: easterly

Post by sentoray » Mon Jan 18, 2016 8:22 pm

Have a look at the control/throttle lever. Make sure it's well sealed as this obviously gets moved and it some times works it's self loose. Also check the emergence bilge pump for water tightness otherwise it's the cockpit floor or rear locker. Make sure you reseal one thing at a time as so you know what it was that was leaking. It's always nice to find out.

smudger
AntiSpam Text: antispam

Post by smudger » Wed Jan 20, 2016 8:17 pm

Hi,you will probably find it is rainwater building up on the cockpit seats and then finding its way into the aft locker,from there it will find its way into the engine bay via the exhaust pipe access hole ! I have used tank tape to seal the hatch this year and will remove the residue left by the tape with brake cleaner !!