storm jib for Corsair

Pethautwp
Anti Spam measure: Yes
AntiSpam Text: westerly

storm jib for Corsair

Post by Pethautwp »

HI,

I'm looking at getting a storm jib (SJ) for a corsair II but someone told me that the inner forestay shouldn't be used to hank a SJ? does anyone have a similar boat? if so what do they have in the way of a SJ? I calculate that the luff would need to be approix 4m.
Also, as far as a halyard for the SJ, what do people use? the only lines that I can see run from the masthead and if used to hoist the SJ would potentially chaff on the radar? any thoughts on this?

many thanks
steve parry
AntiSpam Text: Pentland

Re: storm jib for Corsair

Post by steve parry »

Hi,

Happy New Year.

Using the inner f'stay for a storm jib is a NO NO in my eyes! The inner f'stay is as it says, an inner f'stay for the mast and the support of, it is also un-supported on the deck to take any kind of a sail let alone a storm jib with the forces it is supposed to take. There has been quite a lot been written about this subject on this forum, it might be worth a read of some of the views etc.

My advice for a 36 foot boat would be a removable inner f'stay fixed to the top of the mast area (fixings are available for this) and led down to a SECURE point on the deck with the necessary support under it (bulkhead or a support wire down to a fixing point on the hull, this will however impede the fwd bunk area). The reason why you put it at the top of the mast- it negates the requirement to have running back stays if the end of the removable inner is fixed elsewhere on the mast, doing this the f'stay will require extra support for the mast ie running b'stays. By fixing at the top the mast it is already supported. This advice was given to me by old man Spencer of Spencers Rigging in Cowes who are world renown for rigging every type of vessel that has mast(s) including big square riggers.

I took this advice when fitting one to my Pentland and I haven't had any problems since.

Regards

Steve
Pethautwp

Post by Pethautwp »

Hi Steve,

thanks for the reply. so for my knowledge, when the Corsair came out of the workshop new, was there a storm jib as part of the sail inventory? if so where/how would it have been attached? it seems crazy to have a boat that is thought to be a capable off shore cruiser but not have the ability to hoist a storm sail when necessary? is this a design flaw?
Vegable
Anti Spam measure: No
AntiSpam Text: Westerly

Post by Vegable »

Fully support Steve's reply, in bucket-fulls.
On my Oceanranger (same as the Corsair) I have a factory fitted removable forestay. The deck mounting is just aft of the anchor winch, and inside it's right infront (more correctly, aft) of the anchor locker. Basically it's a substantial U bolt with about a 3" by 1.5" aluminium backing plate. It's not as big as I was expecting. The way it's rigged is as Steve says.
With regard to your other question, and this is pure supposition, if the genoa supplied was just hanked on to the forestay, then the SJ would also be a hanked on one. If foil, then it was expected (rather unrealistically) that you drop the genoa and then insert and hoist the SJ!
If you are going to fit a SJ, I was strongly advised to make sure that the tack of the storm jib was at least 1 metre above the deck so that waves coming over the bow won't foul the jib and put extra strain on it.
Mike
"There is nothing worse than running ashore, unless you are uncertain as to which continent that shore belongs"
mikebuggy

Post by mikebuggy »

Agree the previous. Its a very common modification for Corsairs, ORs, SLs, OLs etc. A secondary removable forestay a few inches down from the masthead and taken to a large U-bolt on deck. This rig is often called a 'Solent' forestay. Mine is just ahead of the anchor locker bulkhead, and underneath I have fitted a full width heavy stainless angle iron across under the U-bolt and also bolted it to the anchor locker bulkhead. I have a very large hank-on working jib that goes on this as well as a storm jib. I have often used the large Jib and the Genoa 'wing and wing' without the main for long distance downwind work. For long distance work offshore, I always leave the inner forestay rigged. If I know it might get blowy I hank on the storm jib in advance and also rig its sheets. Its then lashed down on deck stuffed in its bag but ready to go up. There are plenty of sheaves for extra halyards etc. I have 2 Main Halyards and 2 Genoa halyards, plus spinnaker, and pole uphaul etc.
Never use the babystay for sails, or anything else!
The removable forestay has a a fitting which allows quick attachment/removal and tensioning. Off use it is clipped to a U-bolt on deck to port just ahead of the shrouds. You need to make sure it is tethered so it doesnt bang against the lower spreaders when stowed.
I have also fitted running backstays from just below the upper spreaders, back to the quarters. These are also removable and are not fitted for normal UK summer use. I find them pretty essential though for heavy weather offshore.
Pethautwp

Post by Pethautwp »

Many thanks all. the comment that the original set up would have been a hanked on genoa makes perfect sense!! I'll look into rigging a removable forestay.

thanks again