Centaur chainplates

Backwaters
Anti Spam measure: No
AntiSpam Text: Westerly

Centaur chainplates

Post by Backwaters »

Hello all,

"My nuts are heavily corroded and need to be replaced." :wink:

Does anyone happen to know off-hand what size nuts secure the chainplates on a 1974 Westerly Centaur? Also, does anyone know if the hardware on a Westerly of that age is metric or imperial sizes?

I'm away from the boat for a few weeks.

Thank you, -Jason
Yard no. 1159
mikebuggy

Re: Centaur chainplates

Post by mikebuggy »

Hi. Im a yacht surveyor on the south coast and regularly do Westerlys. I'm about to start on a Centaur tomorrow of about the same vintage, so if you like, I will measure the chainplate fittings and post them later.
Backwaters

Post by Backwaters »

Mikebuggy,

If you have time. That would be really helpful.

Cheers, Jason
mikebuggy

Post by mikebuggy »

I had a look yesterday at chainplate bolts on the Centaur Im working on. Unfortunately, all of the fastenings are covered by headlining material internally so difficult to be precise. However, the following should help:

Aft Lower Shroud Chainplate Tangs (Fixed to Cabin roof sides): 5mm thick S/S Plate. 3 X Hex headed Bolts 05" across faces. This usually equates to imperial 5/16ths I believe. Length allow for stainless bar plus GRP thickness plus nut/washer. Poss around 4 Cm total.

Babystay Tang: On fwd slope of cabin roof. 3X Pan headed bolts 12mm across head. Equates to about M6 or imperial equivalent. Similar length as Shroud bolts.

Main cap shrouds: On side decks. Shaped ('A') type U-bolts made from 7.5mm bar. 2.5" spacing between holes. Reinforcing plate across base. Cant see nuts, but I would guess whatever imperial thread would suit this size bar. Deck may be reinforced in this area so allow length for this.

Hope this helps!
Backwaters

Post by Backwaters »

Hi Mikebuggy,

Thank you! That is really useful. I appreciate you measuring for me as I am away from my boat for a few weeks.

All the best, -Jason
rogerball0
Anti Spam measure: Yes
AntiSpam Text: westerly

Post by rogerball0 »

Backwaters wrote:Hello all,

"My nuts are heavily corroded and need to be replaced." :wink:

Does anyone happen to know off-hand what size nuts secure the chainplates on a 1974 Westerly Centaur? Also, does anyone know if the hardware on a Westerly of that age is metric or imperial sizes?

I'm away from the boat for a few weeks.

Thank you, -Jason
Yard no. 1159
Would probably be imperial so 5/16 or M8 on my chainplates, but seeing as Westerly made alot of these boats the spec may differ between yours and my Centaur, hope that helps.