stress cracks in the bow location

Mark 32
Anti Spam measure: No
AntiSpam Text: negative

stress cracks in the bow location

Post by Mark 32 »

Hi need a little help does any one no how to and what to do and should I be worried

I have just had my renown lifted and I have noticed some cracks in the hull by the water tank is location no OKs I have not looked inside the hull yet but should I be worried and any tips on fixing this with out spending thousands
She is a westerly 32 renown ketch 32 1973 I do belive if this helps
Many thanks
Mark
mikebuggy

Re: stress cracks in the bow location

Post by mikebuggy »

Whereabouts is the boat?
Mark 32

Post by Mark 32 »

The boat is bases at Chatham marina Kent
Jolly Roger
AntiSpam Text: Westerly

Post by Jolly Roger »

Mark

Would you like me to take a look. I am based at Chatham marina. What berth or are you ashore? Will probably be there on Saturday.
Roger
Concerto Fulmar FR38
Photos at http://s1294.photobucket.com/user/Conce ... 2/library/
Mark 32

Post by Mark 32 »

Hi Roger yes you can she is on the hard standing if you wish to have a look I should be up there Sunday if your about thanks Mark
Jolly Roger

Post by Jolly Roger »

Will definitely have an external look on Saturday, not sure if I will be there on Sunday. Will let you know my thoughts.
Roger
Concerto Fulmar FR38
steve parry
Anti Spam measure: Yes
AntiSpam Text: Pentland

Post by steve parry »

Hi,

I had this on my Chieftain several years back....don't worry it's quite common. The water tank is sitting on one bulkhead which goes out to the hull, which in turn, if the water tank is full, then pushes the pressure out towards the hull and gives this crazing on the the hull. I got round it by cutting away the bulkhead around the crazing but still kept the hull integrity, Its all to do with weight of the water on the bulkhead which pushes the bulkhead out and does this crazing. The bottom line is that when the boats were built the bulkhead was too tight!

Regards

Steve

PS Happy to speak further, number in book.
Mark 32

Post by Mark 32 »

Ah right OKs thank you for your imput. that was where my thoughts was heading but it is always best to check incase of any build faults from back in the day and this would make sense as I first saw them after I had filled the tank to fall and then been out for a few day and thank you Roger look forward to pos seeing you and dog Sunday if your down
Jolly Roger

Post by Jolly Roger »

Mark

I missed you today. Had a look at the stress cracks on the two forward bulkheads and half way up the topsides between. I assume there is a bunk top at the height of horizontal cracks. Looking at the hull there and further aft, I think at sometime she hit something solid as about the waterline area between the two bulkheads. The stress cracking is due to the fiberglass flexing, but the gel coat is more rigid and cracked at the support points. It does not look serious, but whilst out of the water I would use a Dremel and open the cracks out and fill with a gel oat filler to stop any water ingress. At the same time you could fill the two chips in the bow. If you need any specific advice I would be happy to talk you through it.
Roger
Concerto Fulmar FR38
Mark 32

Post by Mark 32 »

Ah ok thank you very much Roger for looking and hat is pece of mind and will get the dremil out yes there are beds in the front cabin and the water tank is under the beds I must be honest when we first looked at her out the water we are shor there where not there then when I was washing her I saw them wonder if the previous owner found the pontoon or lock if he took her out before we finally got her
Thanks again Roger
Mark