Steering cables for Conway

KenSayers
Anti Spam measure:Yes
AntiSpam Text:negative
Steering cables for Conway

Post by KenSayers » Thu Oct 29, 2015 4:26 pm

One of my steering cables has broken where the threaded part of the cable attaches to the quadrant. I cannot remove the inner cable and replace it leaving the outer tube in place as the swaged end will not fit thru the hole.
The end at the wheel has an eye which attaches to the chain and the other end is swaged and threaded. Do I have to replace the outer tube and inner cable together? if so from whom can I get such an item or does anybody have any experience of this problem who can advise me.
Thanks in advance for any ideas.
Ken

mikebuggy

Re: Steering cables for Conway

Post by mikebuggy » Thu Oct 29, 2015 10:24 pm

If it helps, its more common nowadays for the quadrant end of the cable to have an eye formed around a thimble and held by 2 or 3 stainless bulldog clamps. This means you can change the cable relatively easily. Ive done mine and helped with a number of others. I used Lewmar steering cable conduit, which you can get from Aquafax, but I'm sure other people do it too. The Lewmar cable seems to fit al the makes of steering, but you may have to fiddle a bit with any end fittings. Any rigger or rigging shop will make up the fixed hard eye at the chain end, and you make up the eye at the quadrant end yourself. you may have to change the fittings on the quadrant to allow use of eyes on the cable rather than a screw thread. My quadrant has turnbuckles, one threaded leg of each has a 'ring' on the end to take the cable eyes.

KenSayers
Anti Spam measure:Yes
AntiSpam Text:negative

Post by KenSayers » Mon Nov 02, 2015 10:10 am

Thanks Mike
Good advice ,I also consulted with the engineers at Kildale Marine in Hull. They looked at the setup and were not impressed with what they saw, apparently rigging wire is to stiff it should be the flexible type and the swaged end with the thread on is under undue stress on the curved surface of the quadrant which made if fail. A different more reliable arrangement with less drag in the system is the only way forward so more work in progress thanks for your help.
regards Ken.

rodders
Anti Spam measure:No
AntiSpam Text:westerly

Post by rodders » Thu Jan 12, 2017 6:43 pm

1979 Conway - Having to replace the steering cables as the conduit has burst due to rust and secondly I note that there a couple of broken strands.

The conduit is red, 16mm OD with a 7mm inner. To use alternative conduit such as (lewmar) would require a lot of modifications to the route through bulkheads etc and the need to modify end fixings. Does anyone know where I can get this conduit?

mikebuggy

Post by mikebuggy » Fri Jan 13, 2017 11:32 pm

Surprised that you feel the Lewmar conduit won't work. I updated from the Red conduit to the Lewmar Blue with not too many problems, and so did my neighbour. I used the same route and holes and reused the old concuit end fittings. Is your system Edson or Whitlock?

rodders
Anti Spam measure:No
AntiSpam Text:westerly

Post by rodders » Sat Jan 14, 2017 2:31 am

Thanks for the response mikebuggy -

My understanding is that the Lewmar is 19mm OD (my current red is 16mm), my end fittings are for 16mm and are large brass compression type with long screw threads enabling mounting directly to bulkheads etc.

I cant see how I can use the old end fittings on a lewmar conduit. If you have any pics of your solution I would love to see them.

The pull-pull chain, wire in conduit with a single solid brass bearing at the wheel side of the binnacle is not recognisable as either Edison or Whitlock. Has the name RENOLD stamped on the binnacle gear along side the boat number.

Did you attempt to replace like with like before changing from red to Lewmar Blue?

Update. I obtained a length of JEFA conduit (black), advertised as being 16mm which turned out to be 15mm. This was ok as I was able to use a little tape to fill the gap and use the original brass fittings. The inner cable was made up by the local rigging company at a reasonable price. The cost of the conduit was similar to that of the blue Lewmar.

Steering is now light and gives good feedback. The autopilot and I will have to put in much less effort. A job worth doing.