Cockpit lockers

atlanta31
Anti Spam measure: Yes
AntiSpam Text: westerly

Cockpit lockers

Post by atlanta31 » Thu Oct 22, 2015 4:42 pm

Evening all,

I have a Centaur Plan B. I don't use the quarter berths, and would like to instal a cockpit locker to take rope and fenders , etc. Has anybody done this? Any snags? Any tips pse?

Many thanks for all replies.

David

TyroSailor
Anti Spam measure: No
AntiSpam Text: Westerly

Re: Cockpit lockers

Post by TyroSailor » Thu Oct 22, 2015 4:53 pm

I might be interested in doing this too. Too many berths for comfort these days; not enough cockpit storage space.
Experience: That which would have been most useful five minutes before you acquired it.

Steve
Tyro (Centaur 1361)
at Southampton

Jolly Roger

Post by Jolly Roger » Thu Oct 22, 2015 7:17 pm

Yes it is possible but will entail a lot of work to make sure they remain water tight when closed. Basically you will need a new bulkhead across the boat to divide the sail locker from the accomodation. I presume you only want the cockpit seat to lift, rather than a hinge higher up on the cockpit side. What ever you cut out can become the hinged panel. You will need to reinforce the edge of the opening part and seal the cut fibreglass. The part of the boat will require a large drip gulley all round and a provision for it to drain into the cockpit. I do not have a photo of my open sail locker on my Fulmar.

The other alternative would be to fit a plastic lid in to the seat, but this would give more restricted access.
Roger
Concerto Fulmar FR38
Photos at http://s1294.photobucket.com/user/Conce ... 2/library/

rhumlady

Post by rhumlady » Thu Oct 22, 2015 9:20 pm

Take a look at Roger Ball's site http://www.agentlemansyacht.com. A few days into the reading you will find what you are looking for and much you weren't;-)
Derek
Konsort 'Rhumlady' KT213

rogerball0

Post by rogerball0 » Sun Oct 25, 2015 8:12 pm

atlanta31 wrote:Evening all,

I have a Centaur Plan B. I don't use the quarter berths, and would like to instal a cockpit locker to take rope and fenders , etc. Has anybody done this? Any snags? Any tips pse?

Many thanks for all replies.

David
Yep:

Total ballache with the deck on unless you're small!

PM me for the skinny

TyroSailor

Post by TyroSailor » Sun Oct 25, 2015 10:19 pm

Wow!
Do they go right down to the bottom of the boat? If so I could stand in them! :)
Experience: That which would have been most useful five minutes before you acquired it.

Steve
Tyro (Centaur 1361)
at Southampton

rogerball0

Post by rogerball0 » Sun Oct 25, 2015 10:51 pm

TyroSailor wrote:Wow!
Do they go right down to the bottom of the boat? If so I could stand in them! :)
Oh yes!

TyroSailor

Post by TyroSailor » Sun Oct 25, 2015 11:34 pm

Brilliant!
Do you have an idea of when a completion date for this project might be somewhere near the horizon?

Steve
Tyro (Centaur 1361)
at Southampton

rogerball0

Post by rogerball0 » Mon Oct 26, 2015 8:51 am

Sometime in the near future, whats handicapped the project from almost day one has been money, i started it in 2008 just as the economy took a dive south, was being investigated by HMRC around that time and so the original budget i had set aside (£20K) disappeared, so what was planned as an 18month project quickly turned into a multi-year one and have been on the backfoot ever since, until quite literally this year.

Now construction (i'm a woodbutcher) is slowly picking itself up off the floor and big builds are getting commissioned the money's starting to flow in once more but i've spent a long time in the wilderness wondering whether to cut it up and move on, i think i'm glad i didn't. :roll:

Have commisioned US yacht designer Eric Sponberg this month to finish what he started for me three years back, and the sail plan is now getting done, he did a heck of a lot of work designing the rig and the modifications to the boat for it all to work, a great bloke in my estimation who is actually retiring soon, think my job may well be one of his last. The orginal idea was a freestanding rig but settled on a swept back one instead, i'll post some pics when done.

I put a search field on my blog so you can type in words and get info but its not great as i tried typing in 'cockpit lockers' last night and got very little back, think when i have time i'll re-design the site along the lines of jobs done as it is set up chronologically being a blog type affair.

FWIW a couple of US owners have put lockers in their Centaurs - i got inspired sailing on a mates Griffon and when i saw the cockpit locker and whats more jumped in it (came up to my chest) thought i needed that on mine!

TyroSailor

Post by TyroSailor » Mon Oct 26, 2015 10:19 am

Ah, money. Always a problem. (We did discuss the other day, three of us over a beer, what boat we'd have with unlimited funds. I want a big ketch with an enormous stern cabin!)

Looks like you have a great set-up there, with a decent workshop. Any work I do on my boat will have to be in the yard at the marina, and I live 300M away so can't pop in for an evening. I think just one side though as I'd like to keep t'other as a spare berth. Just about to have a new engine fitted so this is probably the time for major rearrangement, or at least planning for it.

Steve
Tyro (Centaur 1361)
at Southampton

rogerball0

Post by rogerball0 » Mon Oct 26, 2015 10:52 am

TyroSailor wrote:Ah, money. Always a problem. (We did discuss the other day, three of us over a beer, what boat we'd have with unlimited funds. I want a big ketch with an enormous stern cabin!)

Looks like you have a great set-up there, with a decent workshop. Any work I do on my boat will have to be in the yard at the marina, and I live 300M away so can't pop in for an evening. I think just one side though as I'd like to keep t'other as a spare berth. Just about to have a new engine fitted so this is probably the time for major rearrangement, or at least planning for it.
Cheers

Yeah, building the workshop i think saved the project as i was close to cutting the boat up end of 2013 when work prospects hit a new low and the main shed kept flooding and generally falling to pieces, no ones fault as i'd built the shed purposely 'light' as the project was going to be little more than a year.

Its life i guess as talking to many people over the years i've found the time / money equation rarely balances for any of us - i find when i have one i seldom have the other, currently got a couple of days off but the work contract i'm on should take me to end of the year beginning of next and secure the last £15K i need to finish, the project will stand me in about £50K, then 'Operation Total Folly' shall be at an end & i can go sailing once more.

It was only after delivering Dylan's Centaur with John that i realised how useful those quarter berths are when at sea, still the double i've built in the main saloon will be palatial even with lee cloths, good luck with your boat, i'll corall all the pics on the cockpit and stick in one folder for easier perusal.

Before:

During:

After:

rogerball0

Post by rogerball0 » Mon Oct 26, 2015 11:21 am

atlanta31

Post by atlanta31 » Mon Oct 26, 2015 7:10 pm

Roger

Very many thanks, excellent pictures exactly what I was looking for. You made a lovely job, hope I can do half as good!

regards

David :D

rogerball0

Post by rogerball0 » Mon Oct 26, 2015 7:45 pm

atlanta31 wrote:Roger

Very many thanks, excellent pictures exactly what I was looking for. You made a lovely job, hope I can do half as good!

regards

David :D
No worries and good luck with your boat, if you get stuck give us a shout.

rhumlady

Post by rhumlady » Mon Oct 26, 2015 8:33 pm

One thing I think both Roger and I agree on is that you need to understand that things can get away from you very easily if you are not careful. In my case it is a Konsort that I kept removing bad bits from until it was literally an empty shell. It is the things that need to come out before you can get at the bad bits that can see you ending up paying out lots of money and time. I am not sure I will be able to get my boat back in the water as i am coming up to retirement next year and money will be the main problem then or the lack of it anyway. At present time is the missing ingredient.
Derek
Konsort 'Rhumlady' KT213