Materials for antifouling advice

Peter Q
Anti Spam measure: No
AntiSpam Text: Westerly

Materials for antifouling advice

Post by Peter Q » Tue Sep 29, 2015 12:21 pm

Hi all,

I am about to start antifouling the underwater areas of my Westerly Discus and would be grateful for some advice on specific products. If I understand the process right I need the following:

anti rust
epoxy filler (I’m guessing if a actually need this I can use what I have from my West System stuff)
epoxy primer
flexible sealant (for the keel root)
primer (tie/bridging primer)
boot top antifouling paint (I’d like a dark blue/navy colour)
antifouling paint

Can anyone give me some specific product recommendations (to use or avoid!). My boat has reinforced bilge keels and is located on the crouch at Essex Marina.

Many thanks.

PQ

Jolly Roger

Re: Materials for antifouling advice

Post by Jolly Roger » Tue Sep 29, 2015 9:59 pm

PQ

From your other post about a new engine I assume you will have the boat out of the water for some time. Once you see the condition of the underwater part of your hull, then buy any materials you need.

My favourite rust treatment is Fertan, which is based on Tanic Acid. This should convert the rust that cannot be easily removed, but do treat twice for maximum protection. Any 2 part epoxy filler can be used to fill any rust imperfections. Seal the keel root with CT10 as it sticks to everything and is fully waterproof.

If the antifouling is rough or flaking then you will need to do some remedial work to get it prepared for repainting. For sanding use a ceiling pole sander with a mesh abrasive of about 60 grit (use a mask and a full disposable overall). Prime the hull with a primer like Primocon from International. Then paint the boot top in a hard antifouling like Interspeed Ultra (be warned the navy only comes in larger tins, but black looks good). To edge the paint use 3M blue masking tape as this can remain in place for up to 7 days and it does not bleed at the edges compared to ordinary masking tape. Finally apply 2 or 3 coats of a good self polishing antifouling like Micron Extra 2 PBO test winner).

If you read the thread on restoring Concerto, you will find plenty of other tips. You are always welcome to ask more questions and I will do my best to advise.
Roger
Concerto Fulmar FR38
Photos at http://s1294.photobucket.com/user/Conce ... 2/library/

Peter Q

Post by Peter Q » Mon Oct 05, 2015 10:23 am

Thanks for your reply Rodger, it is appreciated. I will have a look through your thread.

PQ

rhumlady
AntiSpam Text: westerly

Post by rhumlady » Mon Oct 05, 2015 9:23 pm

This is OK if you are about to go in the water but read the can if you are not as there are time limits within which you should keep. Most specify a short maximum time from painting to launching.
Derek
Konsort 'Rhumlady' KT213