New Centaur Forepeak

rogerball0
Anti Spam measure: Yes
AntiSpam Text: westerly

New Centaur Forepeak

Post by rogerball0 »

Having got a week off work i've pushed on with the new forecabin arrangement, in doing so found my boats had a proper smack in the bows, holed even although not too worried based on the lamination schedule outside but seem to be making some kind of progress towards a genuinely liveable cabin:

So now we have a big bow locker as well as access to the new water tank and an extra locker by filling in the centre.
Previously unknown damage to the bow
New arrangement
New large centre locker
Looking like quite a large space

More pics here: https://picasaweb.google.com/1101828864 ... directlink
yankeedoodle
Anti Spam measure: No

Re: New Centaur Forepeak

Post by yankeedoodle »

Looks great. My forepeak looks a little similar to yours in that the old water tank has been removed and new one installed but everything is pretty grungy. What are kind of paint are using? What is your sanding process? I'm a complete novice so sorry for the daft questions.
rogerball0

Post by rogerball0 »

Cheers YD, no worries ask away:

The paint i'm using is 2 pack epoxy resin floor paint, put it into ebay' search field and you'll get a plethora of companies selling it and its a hell of a lot cheaper than 'bilge' paint, here in the UK its £40 for 5 litres of floor paint where as a 750ml pot of International' Damboline is around £20.

The sanding process i use is horrific but admittedly very quick and that is an angle grinder with a 24 grit disc on it, best advice i can offer is mask yourself into the space (doorways and hatches) to cut down on clean up then get a disposable suit, mask and eye protection and blast away.

It'll remove years of paint in a couple of minutes, i prefer this approach to spending a day sanding, get it all over and done with real quick, have a cup of coffee whilst the dust settles hoover up then move on.
rhumlady

Post by rhumlady »

Yeh but the tape always comes unstuck part way through without you realising until you have finished :(
Derek
Konsort 'Rhumlady' KT213
rogerball0

Post by rogerball0 »

rhumlady wrote:Yeh but the tape always comes unstuck part way through without you realising until you have finished :(
Hi Derek

Yep been there done that when i did the engine compartment, really went for it thinking how clever i was with the grinder attached to the henry hoover, however the hoover must have reached its limit and started blowing out through every vent.

I remember looking back from inside the engine space to see the saloon covered in grey dust - there were some long days, still surprised when i think back to days like that that the boat survived the chainsaw as i was way more of a 'hothead' back then. :D
rhumlady

Post by rhumlady »

I know the chainsaw feeling, luckily I don't own one. Keep up the good work sunshine, you will get there :D
Derek
Konsort 'Rhumlady' KT213
yankeedoodle

Post by yankeedoodle »

This is great, Roger-- thanks!

Do you use the same paint throughout the interior?
rogerball0

Post by rogerball0 »

rhumlady wrote:I know the chainsaw feeling, luckily I don't own one. Keep up the good work sunshine, you will get there :D
Cheers mate, you too.
rogerball0

Post by rogerball0 »

yankeedoodle wrote:This is great, Roger-- thanks!

Do you use the same paint throughout the interior?
Yes I've used it throughout as a way of finishing all the locker spaces, its not the kind of paint i would personally want to use as an interior 'finish' but for a general way of sealing raw fibreglass it does the job admirably. Definately recommend it.