Centaur coach roof under mastfoot

diver999

Centaur coach roof under mastfoot

Post by diver999 »

Hi All, can anyone advise what the construction of the coach roof is under the mast foot on a Centaur.

Mine's been progressively collapsing over the years. Its a 1974 boat & is now quite concave on the outside. Id like to fix it over the winter. The compression post seems fine and there's no evidence of any distortion inside.

The idea is to cut out the area of gelcoat from above & clear out anything inside that may have become soft. Then glass in a sheet of thick ply & finally make goood the gelcoat.

I believe the coach roof is generally a balsa sandwich. If that runs the under the mast foot, then I understand why it's collapsing.

Any comments?
rhumlady
Anti Spam measure: No
AntiSpam Text: westerly

Re: Centaur coach roof under mastfoot

Post by rhumlady »

www.agentlemansyacht.com/

Have a look through Roger's site and you will find everything you need to know and a lot you may not wish to know.
Derek
Konsort 'Rhumlady' KT213
Jolly Roger
Anti Spam measure: No
AntiSpam Text: Westerly

Post by Jolly Roger »

There should be a plywood pad to spread the mast load. What has probably happened is water ingress has occured and the plywood has rotted. You could cut it out and replace it. The easier way is to flood the plywood with antifreeze, then allow to dry out for several weeks. Then inject the area epoxy resin. This will make the pad rock solid and reinforce the deck.
Roger
Concerto Fulmar FR38
Photos at http://s1294.photobucket.com/user/Conce ... 2/library/
rogerball0
Anti Spam measure: Yes
AntiSpam Text: westerly

Post by rogerball0 »

I do apologise i have answered this question on YBW's site, next time i'll look in.