VERY STIFF PULL PULL WHEEL STEERING

wotan4
Anti Spam measure:No
AntiSpam Text:westerly
VERY STIFF PULL PULL WHEEL STEERING

Post by wotan4 » Sat Aug 22, 2015 8:57 pm

I have a westerly renown with centre cockpit steering which has been laid up for a while. When out of the water the rudder was free but in the water and operated by the steering wheel it is very stiff.
Any members had the same problem?
I have greased everything I can and slackened the cable in conduit system and it is a little better but still not good.
Any ideas please!!!

MIKE
Wotan R120

TyroSailor
AntiSpam Text:Westerly

Re: VERY STIFF PULL PULL WHEEL STEERING

Post by TyroSailor » Sat Aug 22, 2015 11:24 pm

Something jammed between the rudder and the skeg/hull?
What's the rudder made of? If it's not neutrally buoyant maybe it's straining the pivots?
Experience: That which would have been most useful five minutes before you acquired it.

Steve
Tyro (Centaur 1361)
at Southampton

philipstevens
Anti Spam measure:Yes
AntiSpam Text:Westerly

Post by philipstevens » Sun Aug 23, 2015 11:20 am

I had the same problem with our (now sold) Duo. I decided to renew the inner cable and lubricate everything.

The new cable had the end brazed into a "bullet" to enable it to be pushed into the tube.

The tube had outboard "gear-lub" (in a squeeze tube) squeezed into the outer tube and the inner cable then inserted. A lot of oil came out while I pushed and pulled the inner to lubricate everything. The nozzle of the gear-lub fits into the outer tube enabling the lub to be squeezed in.

I think the problem was the old lubrication had got old and sticky, having lost its' solvent.

The steering was a lot easier afterwards.
regards,
Philip.
Moderator and Admin.

Previous owner of Konsort Duo, Oyster, KD22

Join the WOA - only £15 per year (UK) http://www.westerly-owners.co.uk/ab_join.php

http://www.marketmechina.com/ & http://www.celticwebdesign.net

steve parry
Anti Spam measure:Yes
AntiSpam Text:Pentland

Post by steve parry » Sun Aug 23, 2015 12:25 pm

Hi,

As a Boatline member for the Pentland, this subject tends to come up quite often!

It could be a number of things:

One has already been mentioned which is lubrication.
Someone may have renewed the cables but used the wrong material for the cable.
One of the most common causes is; when replacing the bearings on the rudder they put the bearings back in wrong.
Another common problem is that the bearings don't fit correctly in the first place (stiff to start with).
Also having the bearings made up locally using the wrong material and when the boat goes back into the water the bearings re-act with the salt water and swell up and the steering becomes stiff.

As regards putting slack in the system - I would be very careful with this as the chain may jump off the sprockets at the back of the wheel assembly. (This happened this year in Guernsey while I was there to a Westerly 33 on the way to the sunnier climes, his rigger did the same and the steering cable jumped off at the wrong time and he ended up being towed in and two of his guardrail stanchions missing- we managed( after two days) to get repairs done to his guardrails and steering and he is now nearing southern Portugal and I have now another good Westerly friend).

I am happy to discuss over the phone if need be (number in book).

Steve Parry - Yacht Walkabout

rhumlady
AntiSpam Text:westerly

Post by rhumlady » Mon Aug 24, 2015 9:04 pm

One thing I can say about the rudder is that it will not be neutrally buoyant.
Derek
Konsort 'Rhumlady' KT213