Removing a Blake Seacock

Max Shanks
Anti Spam measure: No
AntiSpam Text: westerly

Removing a Blake Seacock

Post by Max Shanks »

My recently acquired Centaur has been out of the water for a few years (at least 3 that I know of) and the seacocks are all stuck. I started working on the large seacock that is the outlet for the head. After weeks of soaking the seacock with penetrating fluid and gently tapping the handle to no avail, I decided to remove the nuts and have a go at knocking the cone out from underneath the boat. After another week of tapping everyday, I got a little more aggressive. Upon taking a good swing with the mallet, my punch went up through the cone and blew the handle off the seacock, cone still in place. I have resigned myself to the fact the seacock is now ruined, but I still cannot get it out of the hull. I removed the four retaining nuts but it still will not budge. So, first question, how do you get these things out? Second question, should I replace it with another Blake or would a ball valve be a better option? And if I change valves, what about the bolt pattern? I am assuming since this one is so bad, the other seacocks are probably no better.
Any suggetions? Thank you!
Jolly Roger
AntiSpam Text: Westerly

Re: Removing a Blake Seacock

Post by Jolly Roger »

What a shame you did not use some heat to crack the stuck seacock. Heating the outside metal with a hair dryer should have expanded the metal and cracked the seal with the cone. Blake seacocks are the Roll Royce of fittings.

The normal way to remove a skin fitting is to use an angle grinder into the outside hole. You can either make a series of small cuts through the metal or grind round the whole of the hole until you reach fibreglass. Then it should be easy to punch it out of the hull hole.

You may need to do some remedial repair to the fibreglass before fitting a new fitting. The ball valves work well and are easy to see if they are open or closed. They will require regular movement and an annual lubrication to keep them moving freely.
Roger
Concerto Fulmar FR38
Photos at http://s1294.photobucket.com/user/Conce ... 2/library/
Max Shanks

Post by Max Shanks »

Thank you Roger, I will heat the others before swinging a hammer again! Do you know if it is possible to get a new cone only in case I can still get the remainder of the cone out of the housing?
Waka Tiki

Post by Waka Tiki »

Hi there,
There is currently a 1 3/4 Blakes seacock on Ebay at http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Blakes-1-3-4- ... 25aa97678b
seller says its new with a broken handle... buy it now price £60 +£8 p & p. Worth a look??

John
rhumlady

Post by rhumlady »

A broom handle cut down would have been a better bet but used in conjunction with heat.
Derek
Konsort 'Rhumlady' KT213