Spinnaker rigging: Oceanlord

keith_young
Anti Spam measure: Yes
AntiSpam Text: Westerly

Spinnaker rigging: Oceanlord

Post by keith_young »

Apologies for a fairly noddy question but I'm trying to work out the best arrangement for rigging downwind sails my Oceanlord. What block set-up do others use for a symmetric spinnaker? Would anyone be concerned about the pull from a big spinnaker on a block for the guys attached to westerly stantion bases or do others use dedicated deck fittings?

If anyone is using asymmetrics (which I haven't really considered yet), do you have retractable bowsprits or rely on the tack line being pulled out from the pulpit by the sail?
Vegable
Anti Spam measure: No

Re: Spinnaker rigging: Oceanlord

Post by Vegable »

Have a look at U Tube videos. Type in "Rigging a spinnaker" and you'll find lots of info. Also have a look at thre big sailmakers websites as I think they have useful info there. I have an Oceanranger (38') and have no concerns using the stantion bases, but have a word with your local sailmaker or the boatyard rigger for their thoughts. Personally by the time you're worried about the stantion being ripped out the spinnaker will have split long before that!
Re asymmetrics, the tack goes through the bow roller so it's free flying and in my case is fed back to the cockpit so I can tweek it, in othercases it's tied on to a deck cleat.
Mike
"There is nothing worse than running ashore, unless you are uncertain as to which continent that shore belongs"
rhumlady
AntiSpam Text: westerly

Post by rhumlady »

The Oceanmaster must have better stanchion Base mounting than the Konsort Mike. Mine were fitted using M6 bolts and nuts with small washers then the bolts were cropped close to the nuts. There was no backing material and the balsa core wasn't removed so the whole thing was a disaster waiting to happen which it did at some point on several of them.
Derek
Konsort 'Rhumlady' KT213
Vegable

Post by Vegable »

Hi Derek,
Yes thinking about it a bit more I think you're right.
There should be screwed on to the deck near the guardrails aft of the cockpit a stainless steel strip running lengthwise and slightly lifted up from the deck at the forward end. A lot of people tie off their jackstays to it. It's this fitting that the pulleys for the spinnaker guys are connected to. I was thinking the boom control lines when I wrote the above.
Hope things are well with you and yours. My boats still up in Arisaig and have just come back from a trip to the Faroes. A fabulous place to go if you like wild country AND it was warmer than Scotland.......just as wet though!
Best regards
Mike
"There is nothing worse than running ashore, unless you are uncertain as to which continent that shore belongs"
keith_young
Anti Spam measure: Yes

Post by keith_young »

I should probably qualify: I wasn't thinking about turning blocks for guys and sheets but blocks for guys somewhere amidships. Another Oceanlord owner has recently confirmed that he uses my plan B strategy of attaching blocks via soft shackles to the midships cleats. I'm happy with how to (in general) rig a spinnaker, I'm just interested in the specifics of how others are rigging on Oceanlords, Sealords and boats with similar layouts.

My concern with the tack line for an asymmetric is fouling on the pulpit which sits squarely between the bow roller and the spinnaker halyard but I'm guessing from Mike's reply that the curve of the sail takes this out forward of the pulpit, yes?