Fulmar genoa winches - possible weakness

Jolly Roger
Anti Spam measure: No
AntiSpam Text: Westerly

Fulmar genoa winches - possible weakness

Post by Jolly Roger »

I have just removed the genoa winches (Antal self tailers) from the aft end of the coachroof as I have fitted more powerful Lewmar 43 self tailers to the cockpit coamings.

What surprised me was the fibreglass at the end of the coachroof was about 6mm thick and the gel coat was showing signs of cracking from several of the bolt holes on both winch positions. There was no backing plate or ply support to help spread the load, even though there was a tapered wood block directly under the winch. I would advise any Fulmar owner still using the original winch position to check and add at least a plywood backing to fill this raised section of deck. There is no problem for space above the headlining panel and a properly bedded pad would strengthen this area.

By comparison the halyard winches have a pad in place. This is important as I am using the old genoa winches to upgrade the old Lewmar 16's. The old bolt holes will be epoxy filled and the new bolt holes will be drilled between the old holes as they are on a slightly larger diameter.
Roger
Concerto Fulmar FR38
Photos at http://s1294.photobucket.com/user/Conce ... 2/library/
rhumlady
AntiSpam Text: westerly

Re: Fulmar genoa winches - possible weakness

Post by rhumlady »

Well I am surprised, not. The surprising thing is you don't have balsa core there which had not been dealt with properly. Maybe time to check out more of your deck fittings...
Derek
Konsort 'Rhumlady' KT213
Jolly Roger

Post by Jolly Roger »

Derek

All the stanchion bases are just about to be removed and replaced, so I will see some other places on the deck. One fitting I believe has been replaced after some damage and a plywood pad was inserted under the deck, but the rest I believe are just solid glassfibre. When I fitted the new genoa winches to the coamings, they were solid glass as well but about 8 to 9mm thick.

Whilst working on my boat I certainly learn a lot about how they were built and what you have to do to keep them structurally sound. My comment is they are generally better built than a lot of boats of that period and will certainly outlast many of the production cruisers of today.
Roger
Concerto Fulmar FR38
rhumlady

Post by rhumlady »

The coamings are solid on the Konsort as well but under the stanchion bases is cored. This causes problems if the are hit hard inwards as the triangular base with a long leaver can easily punch down through the upper skin and crush the balsa. Obviously if not sorted quickly you end up with wet core. I have had to do 4 of the 6 on Rhumlady. These were historical I must add, not damaged in my time.
Derek
Konsort 'Rhumlady' KT213
Jolly Roger

Post by Jolly Roger »

My intention is to spin an alum key in all holes in any cored sections of deck, before epoxy filling the holes. That will stiffen any cored section to support the stanchions.
Roger
Concerto Fulmar FR38
rhumlady

Post by rhumlady »

Yep that is how it should have been done or a solid area should have been created where fittings were to be placed. Much easier when the deck moulding is upside down.
Derek
Konsort 'Rhumlady' KT213