1986 Corsair Keel Bolts

happyhussar
Anti Spam measure:No
AntiSpam Text:westerly
1986 Corsair Keel Bolts

Post by happyhussar » Wed Feb 18, 2015 4:31 pm

Have just removed saloon table to inspect the bilge below, the mild steel nuts on the first two keel bolts are badly eaten away by rust and require replacing.
The second pair of nuts are not as bad but I would replace them. The s/s keel bolt threads look just fine. The other seven keel bolts and nuts are all glassed in and look in good condition. My questions are:- 1. What is the thread and size of the keel bolt nuts ? 2. Is there some type of locking washer or is a second nut fitted. The seal between the hull and keel on the outside of the boat is unbroken so I feel reasonable confidant that I do not have to delve deeper.
I would appreciate any information or advice. Happy hussar.

smudger
AntiSpam Text:antispam

Re: 1986 Corsair Keel Bolts

Post by smudger » Wed Feb 18, 2015 7:09 pm

Hi,i dont know if it helps but the s/s nuts on my centaur are 1inch whitworth. :!:
sorry cant tell you any more than that!

rhumlady

Post by rhumlady » Wed Feb 18, 2015 9:25 pm

Double nuts with a plate beneath them. This is usually a square plate. The nuts are usually stainless steel.
Derek
Konsort 'Rhumlady' KT213

Miranda

Post by Miranda » Thu Feb 19, 2015 10:40 am

I resealed a couple of mine this winter, they were 30mm stainless double nuts, you do need a deep socket to get the second nut off then a flat stainless plate below which took a bit of shifting due to sealant beneath.
Hope this helps.
Tim.
Tim, Tempest TT23 Miranda

happyhussar

Post by happyhussar » Sat Mar 07, 2015 4:46 pm

Corsair keelbolts.
Once I had cleaned up the area around the forward two keelbolts and used a wire brush on the nuts it became clear that they
were in fact stainless steel. I removed the locking nut on the forward keelbolt to replace the earthing strip between the bolt
and the metal mast support. The lock nut had been centrepunched and was very difficult to remove. However the job has now been completed. Many thanks to Smudger, Derek of Rhumlady and Tim of Miranda for their helpful comments. Jeff.