Typhoon Mainsail Outhaul.

Brines
Anti Spam measure:No
AntiSpam Text:westerly
Typhoon Mainsail Outhaul.

Post by Brines » Tue Feb 10, 2015 3:44 pm

Has anyone any knowledge of the internal boom mechanism which operates the above. The end that operates the outhaul is stainless steel wire while the end at the mast is rope. After some twenty plus years the rope is disgusting and I want to replace it. I read previously that one could pull the wire out of the end casting of the boom and drag the rope through on the end of it. All you had to do was remember to attach a mousing line to it so you could pull a new piece of rope through to replace the original.

Tried that, but all that happened was that a small block appeared at the end of the boom on the end of the ss wire, with the mousing line neatly threaded through it. Pulling on this line did nothing to get the original rope through so it could be removed, although it had by now disappeared up into the boom. I then pulled on the mousing line back out and retrieved only six inches of the original rope but where the other six feet is I don't know. Do I really have to remove both ends of the Boom or is there another way? Help please.

rhumlady

Re: Typhoon Mainsail Outhaul.

Post by rhumlady » Tue Feb 10, 2015 5:55 pm

I think you already know the answer and that is to remove both ends. That way you can see what is inside. Getting the ends off may well prove challenging though.[DISAPPOINTED FACE]
Derek
Konsort 'Rhumlady' KT213

Brines

Post by Brines » Thu Feb 12, 2015 10:49 am

Thanks rhumlady, it rather looks that way but I have some hope that someone will know whats going on inside it. Anyone??

Jolly Roger
AntiSpam Text:Westerly

Post by Jolly Roger » Thu Feb 12, 2015 12:04 pm

Have you had a chat with the boom manufacturer. They will probably know instantly or could check the design plans. It would certainly be worth a phone call. Alternatively have a word with a local rigger.
Roger
Concerto Fulmar FR38
Photos at http://s1294.photobucket.com/user/Conce ... 2/library/

philipstevens
Anti Spam measure:Yes

Post by philipstevens » Thu Feb 12, 2015 3:05 pm

I am of the opinion that you will have to remove both ends, as the outhaul "mast end" is probably attached to the aluminium goose-neck end inside. It then goes to the block where the wire is attached, and back out to the jamb-cleat/down to the turning black and back to the cockpit.

You may also have to remove the blocks from the outer end as that will be the only way you can get the eye-swage out. Split-pin, washer and axle-pin through the boom end.

If you have single line reefing, you will have to remove both ends to service the blocks and lines. I have had to do this with our Duo.
regards,
Philip.
Moderator and Admin.

Previous owner of Konsort Duo, Oyster, KD22

Join the WOA - only £15 per year (UK) http://www.westerly-owners.co.uk/ab_join.php

http://www.marketmechina.com/ & http://www.celticwebdesign.net

Brines

Post by Brines » Fri Feb 13, 2015 3:57 pm

Thank you Roger and Philip,
I'll contact Selden re. Elysiums Kemp spar's and let you know how I get on. From what I've seen I think Philip is pretty close to the internal arrangement so it looks like an ends off job, as I'd also like to replace the outhaul slider at the same time. Anyone got any experience of a modern replacement apart from a clew strap??
Brines

ps. Roger, I think you and I are in the same Marina. I'll keep an eye out for you>

Jolly Roger

Post by Jolly Roger » Fri Feb 20, 2015 7:58 am

Brines wrote: Roger, I think you and I are in the same Marina. I'll keep an eye out for you>
Currently out of the water in the boatyard alongside the road and close to the main gate. If you see me there, then pop over and have a chat. I will be working on Concerto on this Saturday making her look worse before the beautifying can be completed.
Roger
Concerto Fulmar FR38
Photos at http://s1294.photobucket.com/user/Conce ... 2/library/

rowanloh
Anti Spam measure:Yes

Post by rowanloh » Mon Aug 10, 2015 3:44 pm

Old thread - but came up on a search. This may be interesting from some earlier research I was doing for a similar problem.

http://www.yacht-forum.co.uk/viewtopic.php?t=233

habibi

Post by habibi » Wed Oct 21, 2015 4:33 pm

I have a Typhoon TN 25 with a Kemp ( now Selden ) rig. The boom was standard slab reefing system. I have since retro fitted single line reefing to reef 1 & 2 which requires removal of the castings at each end and cutting slots in each side near to the forward end of the extrusion.
The clew out haul is a rope, a block and a wire pendant with soft eye. The rope part is attached to the for'd casting , runs through the block ( single whip) and back to the for'd casting past a jamming lever and over a sheave with about a meter tail.
The wire from the block runs aft to the casting, through the centre sheave and forward into the groove on the top of the boom and the eye attaches to 'hook' on the stainless steel clew out-haul slider.
The slider has 4 wheels inside the boom and loop (for want of a better description ) which protrudes above boom to attach the clew shackle and the sail.
This is a very important control system for mainsail trim !
All this is sized for the task and works well. As described the out-haul is handled from the mast, however it can be led to the cockpit.
Please call if you would like to talk this through with me.

Ivan Bole