baby stays on Centaur

Stephen
Anti Spam measure:No
AntiSpam Text:Westerly
baby stays on Centaur

Post by Stephen » Thu Jan 01, 2015 9:07 pm

Please excuse newbee questions

I have no intention of messing about with my rigging. It seems to work fine BUT the baby stay on my centaur is in a really awkward position. It gets in the way of where I could put my tender. Or even a self tacking jib track. Are they really essential on centaurs. There are seven reinforcement points to my mast. I take it this is standard on centaurs. Is there any other use to which I could put the baby stay. Or does the extra weight put on the mast by the in mast (or on mast) furling system make it absolutely necessary.

rhumlady
AntiSpam Text:westerly

Re: baby stays on Centaur

Post by rhumlady » Thu Jan 01, 2015 9:16 pm

The baby stay opposes the aft lowers and ensures the mast doesn't 'invert' by which I mean bend with the centre going aft. It also stops it 'pumping' which is the vibration which can affect the mast and be a real pain in the backside. You could fit forward lowers on each side which would help clear the deck area.
Derek
Konsort 'Rhumlady' KT213

Stephen
AntiSpam Text:Westerly

Re: baby stays on Centaur

Post by Stephen » Sat Jan 03, 2015 9:48 am

Thanks for the explanation.

Of course by installing forward lowers I suppose I would double my chances of getting the genoa sheet tangle on tacking

Ah well there no such thing as a free lunch. What I have works very well and probably best left alone