Typhoon Stanchions

Typhoon
Anti Spam measure: Yes
AntiSpam Text: Westerly

Typhoon Stanchions

Post by Typhoon » Wed Dec 17, 2014 1:03 pm

I would like to replace one or two alloy stanchions on my Westerly Typhoon. The side decks are angled so that there is a "fall" outboard and, in common with all Typhoons, the current stanchions have a slight bend in the base of them so that they are canted slightly inboard to counter the angle of the side deck. Straight stanchions are not suitable as they would protrude outboard. Does anyone know of anything that would be a direct replacement, failing that, do you know anywhere that will be able to put this “bend” into a solid alloy or stainless tube stanchion?

Thanks in anticipation.

Eeyore
Anti Spam measure: No
AntiSpam Text: Westerly

Re: Typhoon Stanchions

Post by Eeyore » Wed Dec 17, 2014 1:37 pm

Cant imagine there would be any issues whatsoever in finding a small engineering shop who will bend them for you if you bring in a sample to be copied.
Tempest Isabella TT6

mikebuggy

Re: Typhoon Stanchions

Post by mikebuggy » Wed Dec 17, 2014 11:57 pm

Yes agree. No problem. Standard job for Storm, Corsair, OR, Typhoon, and others. Trafalgar used to be able to get it done but I've just used local workshops. Note that some of the apparently solid alloy stanchions have a hollow section...depends on the makers spec. Recommendation used to be that they should be warmed slightly as part of bending.