Butyl Tape

Jon

Butyl Tape

Post by Jon » Thu Dec 11, 2014 2:08 pm

I'm looking at removing all deck hardware this winter, replacing items as necessary then refitting. Has anyone used butyl tape instead of the more common sealants on the market to re-bed ? Butyl tape appears to have a number of advantages from the research I've done but would like to hear other opinions.

Kind regards,

Jonathan. Konsort 'Papenoo'

Eeyore
Anti Spam measure: No
AntiSpam Text: Westerly

Re: Butyl Tape

Post by Eeyore » Thu Dec 11, 2014 7:55 pm

You would have to wonder how well it would seal if you put it under a fitting then drilled a hole through it , as opposed to gooey polyurathene squeezing around a bolt and into the hole. I'd also be interested also to hear how successful it is.
Tempest Isabella TT6

rhumlady
AntiSpam Text: westerly

Post by rhumlady » Thu Dec 11, 2014 8:11 pm

It seals very well and as you tighten down it squeezes out. I have used it on windows in the forecabin with good results. If you countersink the bolt holes on the deck slightly so it squeezes into it you should get a good seal. It does remain soft which is a good point for it. I am just refitting the kitchen at home and have removed the sink which has been in place for about ten years. It was still soft and had to be cut to allow me to remove the sink.
Good luck in removing the deck fittings by the way. I hope you have plenty of time on your hands as Westerly were very fond of bolt croppers to trim the bolts on the underside of the deck and they also liked glassing the remaining bits in [ANGRY FACE]
Derek
Konsort 'Rhumlady' KT213

Jon

Post by Jon » Fri Dec 12, 2014 9:52 am

I personally have never used it but there is quite a lot of info on the net. It appears to be used more on boats in the US. The properties I like are that its easy to use, you can tighten the fitting straight away, easy to clean up, remains flexible for decades and that it enables the fitting to be removed relatively easily if required.

Derek as you mention the countersink part is very important. I only want to do this once and therefore want to do it right. I've been through this process before on a Centaur, albeit many years ago, so I appreciate some of the challenges. I expect I'll end up totally grey haired by the end !! :shock:

simonk
AntiSpam Text: antispam

Post by simonk » Tue Dec 16, 2014 8:49 am

I'll be looking at fitting a new hatch & fittings shortly, is there a recommended brand that is preferred?
Regards

Simon

Jon

Post by Jon » Tue Dec 16, 2014 2:14 pm

Simon,

Good question and I'm trying to find the answer myself. Not all butyl tapes are the same or have the same properties. Have a look at pbase.com
Unfortunately this tape appears to be sold only in the US but it may be possible to get this particular product imported at a cost. There's also a company called Sealrite in the UK that produces numerous butyl tapes but haven't spoken to them yet to see if any of their products are suitable for marine use. As mentioned in an earlier post there seems to be a lot of positive factors for using butyl tape for re-sealing all deck hardware. Put in an Internet search for marine butyl tape and loads of info comes up.

Regards,

Jonathan