Bird scarers

BarryandLinda

Bird scarers

Post by BarryandLinda » Wed Oct 15, 2014 2:57 pm

This year we have cleared up more birds mess than any other year. We've used old cds,and other deterrents but I am thinking of buying a proper scarer. There's a lot on the market both wind and power driven and I would appreciate any ideas and comments on what works. Our boat is in Chichester harbour.
Thanks
Barry

Jolly Roger
Anti Spam measure: No
AntiSpam Text: Westerly

Re: Bird scarers

Post by Jolly Roger » Wed Oct 15, 2014 5:42 pm

Chichester is well known for their starlings. Been a thread running on another forum about the problems. I would try a hawk type kite on a pole. Many people say it seems to work. But remember it might blow away in high winds.
Roger
Concerto Fulmar FR38
Photos at http://s1294.photobucket.com/user/Conce ... 2/library/

Fulmar433
Anti Spam measure: Yes
AntiSpam Text: Westerly

Post by Fulmar433 » Thu Oct 16, 2014 9:57 pm

My mooring is on one of the creeks off the Medway and we are surrounded by marshes with plenty of bushes that have been covered in berries gorged by the Starlins. Many of the surrounding boats have been covered in bird mess. Whilst not totally clean our boat has been considerably cleaner than most of the others. I have an owl with a wobbly head that sits on the boom supported between the lazy jacks. I think it came from Force 4 and certainly seems to work.
David Metcalfe
Fulmar 433 Jeddo
Lower Halstow, Kent

BarryandLinda

Post by BarryandLinda » Sat Oct 10, 2015 9:45 am

Just an update on this subject. After some deliberation we bought a pair of 'solar pest repellers' that are advertised for pest repellent in the garden. We tie one on the mainsheet and one forward facing on the mast ( below the boom). We bought them at the start of the season, and the results have been great. Last year the amount of bird mess, both before and during the 'blackberry ' season was horrible, this year only an occasional spot from a passing and repelled bird.
They have a small solar panel on top of the unit, and two rechargeable batteries and emit high frequency noise ( adjustable for types of pest ) and flashing light when a bird flies into their range ( up to 8 metres ). Other boats in our moorings trot have had the usual amount of mess so we're well pleased with our £40 investment in keeping the boat clean, and saving us an hour of clean up before heading off.