Centaur Dismasted

tokima
Anti Spam measure: No
AntiSpam Text: westerly

Centaur Dismasted

Post by tokima »

Hi,

My fellow boat owner took our Centaur out for a leisurely day sail last month in quite moderate weather. Imagine my surprise when, whilst sitting in the pub, I received a text saying the mast had fallen off!

It transpires that, whilst tacking, as the Genoa came over to starboard the mast snapped about a foot from the base bringing it crashing into the water where it again broke in half at the mid trees. Luckily no one was hurt as all crew where in the cockpit. All the rigging appears to be intact.

Not sure why this would suddenly occur as, although the mast is potentially the original 1978 one, the rigging was replaced in October 2011. I'm putting an insurance claim in but wondered if anybody else had any experience of this kind of incident. Are the insurance likely to pay out, where on earth can I get a mast from and what shall I claim for? New mast, spars, rigging, lights, screws and fitting?

Any advice would be appreciated.

George.
philipstevens
Anti Spam measure: Yes
AntiSpam Text: Westerly

Re: Centaur Dismasted

Post by philipstevens »

Get a rigging firm in to start with, let the insurance company know, and then the insurance assessor will let you know what you can claim for.

I had a cap shroud part on our previous Konsort many years ago, about a week after it was surveyed. The cap shroud parted at a half inch about the weld at the lower "T". The mast suffered a slight S bend, before the mast was stabilised with the spinnaker halyard.

The insurance paid out for a new mast, all standing and running rigging.

GJW Direct. Still with them 15years and a different boat later.
regards,
Philip.
Moderator and Admin.

Previous owner of Konsort Duo, Oyster, KD22

Join the WOA - only £15 per year (UK) http://www.westerly-owners.co.uk/ab_join.php

http://www.marketmechina.com/ & http://www.celticwebdesign.net
rhumlady

Post by rhumlady »

One of the other members, who's name totally escapes me apart from Bob, had his mast broken while being setup or craned in by the yard. I believe his new mast is a Zspars one.
Derek
Konsort 'Rhumlady' KT213
tokima

Post by tokima »

Thanks Philip and Derek, will look into this tomorrow. Just hope the insurance pays out!
aquaplane

Post by aquaplane »

Yep, that's me, I'm Bob.

I ended up with a new Z Spars mast but the boom was OK so that was reused.

The rigger was going to reuse the standing riggine if he could but I got new. I got some new running rigging too.

I also got new nav lights which I wasn't going to do while the mast was down but would have paid for as we were having a new mast, if the insurance wouldn't stand it that is.

They reused the main halyard winch too.

The mast step leaked and had to be removed and resealed, mast off again for that.

I had to get the rigger back to wire up the lights, the ones I had worked so I wanted the new ones fixing not just 2 coils of flex and new through decks and connections to make.

They forgot to install flag halyards too but fitted those when I pointed out I had them before and wanted them again.

The sliders on the mainsail were different so I had them supply and fit those too.

All the little snags took a day to fix but it was Monday before they came to do them so we had 4 days over the W/E kicking about Kip instead of sailing.

The mast was said to be on 4 or 5 week delivery but that was ex-factory . We had to wait for the sceduled lorry to do the UK delivery so it was more like 8 weeks to get the mast to Kip. Another week to build the mast and fit it. All in all it took 10 weeks from when we thought we were going to start our season to when we actually set off round the MoK.

We ended up with a new mast, nav lights and standing rigging but lost 10 weeks sailing, of which I only missed 2, the weather was pants for most of the waiting time.

HTH
Bob.
Centaur now sold. Boating from Tarbert.
tokima

Post by tokima »

Thanks Bob, got a quote from Zspars which was a third less than the nearest quote. Put it into the insurers, will see whats happens.
aquaplane

Post by aquaplane »

You are welcome, I hope you get sorted out OK, probably for next season now though I suspect.
Bob.
Centaur now sold. Boating from Tarbert.
tokima

Post by tokima »

Hi,

Just an update on this. My insurance company didn't pay out for the mast but instead made a "without prejudice" payment for the additional items damaged due to the incident: rigging, lights etc and 50% of the delivery and fitting costs.

Their reason for not paying out for the mast was that, as it was most probably the original mast, the incident was due to wear and tear. After deducting the policy excess we are left with around 20% of the Z spars quote. So not good.

Anyone know where I could get a second hand mast or this a false economy??

Regards,

George